German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new GS puppy, she came from a litter of 10. Im worried as she has had diarrhea since we got her 2 weeks ago. She weighed only 7 lbs when we got her, and since she has been with us she has gained 4 more lbs(now 9 1/2 weeks). She came back positive for giardia and we did the 5 day dose of panacur and that didnt help. She is now on flagyl for 7 days 2x a day (4th day in) and bio sponge to help with the potty department. Her poohs are yellow still and are somewhat hard but still mushy. She also has been dewormed (along with other shots) and pooped out a lot of dead roundworms :eek:, which has thankfully stopped. Shes also on rice, chicken and cottege cheese per vet. Vet said we will talk about EPI next time I see her which is next week for another round of shots.

My questions are:

when the poohs were runny she had constant white dots a little larger than salt, vet said there is no way they are eggs of any sort as you cant see them with a naked eye. Since she has been on the bland diet they are gone. Any advice?? (she was eating blue buffalo puppy)

Is she small weight wise for her age?

Also since she is in her 4th day of flagyl with mild improvement and still yellow mushy pooh, I cant help but be discouraged... what else can I do and how common is EPI or SIBO diagnosis?

Does anyone else have a similiar story!?? I have been reading a million post it feels like, and im not feeling any better. :(

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I think she's a little young to be jumping to the EPI conclusion. This sounds like it's from giardia and a heavy parasite load. That can be a lot for a little pup to handle, especially with all of the shots and drugs happening at the same time!

Tape worm shows up in the poop like little segments of rice. Is that what you maybe saw?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it was smaller than rice- like a grainy sand texture- (yes i play in my dogs pooh haha) and little white round dots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts