German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Got a puppy who is nearly 4 months old. Keeps getting diarrhoea. He is pooping 3-4 times a day. Sometimes looks fine other times watery. Should I get him checked out?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
What food are you feeding? How much? How often? Have you had the pup examined by a vet when you got it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What food are you feeding? How much? How often? Have you had the pup examined by a vet when you got it?
Feeding him Bakers dry puppy food now. He was on pedigree dry and wet food and we changed to see if it would make a difference
2 scoops 3 times a day. Small dog treats when he goes for a walk etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feeding him Bakers dry puppy food now. He was on pedigree dry and wet food and we changed to see if it would make a difference
2 scoops 3 times a day. Small dog treats when he goes for a walk etc
Examined by vet 4 weeks ago when he had his second injection

·
Registered
53 Posts
It could be his food it could be parasites.. it could be the treats..
Until I switched Nessie to Gentle Giant and adding 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt to her morning food she had inconsistent consistancy..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Directions say 300 grams per day. Overfeeding is the number 1 cause of diarrhea in health pups.
It is not great food but I don't know what is available to you.
Also if you switch foods it needs to be a slow switch over the course of a week or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Directions say 300 grams per day. Overfeeding is the number 1 cause of diarrhea in health pups.
It is not great food but I don't know what is available to you.
Also if you switch foods it needs to be a slow switch over the course of a week or more.
What is the best food for a puppy. We can buy any just not sure as not had a dog before

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be his food it could be parasites.. it could be the treats..
Until I switched Nessie to Gentle Giant and adding 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt to her morning food she had inconsistent consistancy..

Thanks will try the plain yoghurt from tomorrow and see if it helps

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
What is the best food for a puppy. We can buy any just not sure as not had a dog before
Apparently there is a food available there that has a decent ingredient list but says it's a bit pricey. It's called Lily's Kitchen. Dog food availability and quality varies greatly around the world but we do have members in your area that may know more.
AlexG was correct, there is no best. A fantastic food may sit poorly with some pups.
Do make sure you switch slowly if you decide to. Also try cutting his food back a bit and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm also in the uk, pets at home have a good selection of dog food wet and dry I have a 3.5 month old GSD and an 8 year old we feed wellness core or you could try Arden Grange, pooch and mutt or barking heads or you could always ask a member of staff for help...hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its always best to start with the breeders food of choice or what the rescue fed them. Pick a good quality kibble that doesn't have many fillers and supplement from there. Like I said, we feed Gentle Giant to all of our dogs.. with a can of Purina wet food split between them in the eve.. yogurt and supplements per their weight... Nessie our GSD is 11mnths 72lbs, Shiloh, Newfy mix is 2.5 years and 56lbs, Thor is 2.5 years and 26 lbs...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
It could very well be overfeeding (we haven't had Agis have diarrhea from it, but we realized we were giving him too much at one point based on volume!). But, if it doesn't get better, take a stool sample with you to the vet's. Do you know if he was dewormed before you got him?

(Agis came to us with worms and then giardia, but he's right as rain now...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts