German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old GSD pup named Ranger. We have had him for 1 week. I also have a 7 year old golden, Dixie, and a 1 yr old bischon\****zu Jasper. They all get along and play together. Dixie puts them in their place when needed. My question is should I curb Ranger playing with Jasper. I dont want Ranger to grow up thinking its ok to chase small dogs. Jasper initiates at least half the time. It is normal puppy play and I would not be concerned with other breeds, I have had labs and goldens all my life but this is my first GSD. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Amadeus grew up playing with a little Corgi, they would chase each other around and around my friend's house. He never once gave me any problems with little dogs. He was actually more accepting and patient with them. Several times on walks there would be little dogs that would get out of their house and come bolting down towards him, barking and growling. You could see the fear in the owner's eyes as they came chasing after their little dog. Amadeus would just stand there and smell the little thing yapping by his feet. I would not worry about it, they are smart dogs and know when it is okay and when it is not. Their is a difference between playing and not playing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wish Harley would behave with my toy poodles. He's been here since he was 7 weeks old (he is 12 weeks today) and still terrorizes them. I've tried using treats, telling him "leave it", etc... no progress. Sorry if I hijack ur thread, I'm curious how to stop this before it gets too bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are dealing with this also. We have a 9 week GSD and 2 lhasa apsos, 3 & 5 yrs. old. The 5 yr old will tolerate the puppy play and play back. The 3 yr old played a bit with her but GSD is too hyper for her taste. She just stays on the outskirts. She sniffs the GSD and is welcoming, but keeps her distance. They BOTH know their limits and tell the GSD when they do not want to play. Puppy gets the clue and backs off. Most of the time I just let them be in the same room but control how close they get, I don't let puppy pounce on them unless they are in a playful mood. You just have to learn to read your dogs. It's ok for puppy to learn how to have social manners :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts