German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a question about the way my 10wk old puppy plays with our 5yr old Lhasa. Every time the older dog picks up a toy the puppy runs over and grabs it out of her mouth then shakes it in her face as if to flaunt the victory. Often while doing this she will spin around and "body slam" the older dog in the side then run around like a berzerker while stopping to "play bow" sometimes. I know she is just trying to get the older dog to play with her and so far has not been aggressive in a "mean" kinda sense (no barking or growling from the puppy, though the senior dog growls. a lot.) but sometimes her hackles are up. I don't know if from aggression or just excitement. Your thoughts? I want her to kinda leave the older dog alone when she obviously does not want to play.

Thanks in advance, we are new to raising puppies.

·
Registered
800 Posts
sounds like your pup is just trying to initiate play. I think if your pup crosses a serious boundary, your older dog will put him in his place. Supervise the situation, but let your dogs establish their relationship themselves. Hackles up, barking, growling are GSD playing. It looks fierce at times but it is play.:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thank you very much! I just read the "8 week old interaction problems" thread and that sounds very familiar also! This board has been great, mostly in reassuring me that our puppy is normal and teaching me how to raise her.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I agree this is 100% appropriate play behavior from a puppy. If it's too much for you older dog, this is when YOU need to step in for a rousing game with your puppy!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I myself had the same concerns you are having when I brought home Willow. I have a 7 year old mix and Willow would take everything from her to try and engage her in play. I watched very close in the early days and listened to Dallas's growls and how Dallas interacted with Willow. That way I can now tell when Dallas is just growling to growl or if Dallas is seriously getting annoyed by Willow, in which case I will step in and take the toy away or tell Willow to back off. I taught Willow "No play" when she was in puppy class and that is her cue to leave Dallas alone for awhile.
I am pleased to report that both dogs get along great and I have not had ANY issues with fighting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Candie, Noni (the senior dog) is very submissive and usually just tries to walk away and of course Lijha won't let her... It is fun to watch when they actually do play, usually a game of tug with a toy. Like you said I can tell when Noni is play growling because she uses the same growl with us when we play and when she is getting angry at the puppy we step in so I guess we are on the right track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts