German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy is nearly ten weeks old and in some aspects we've come a long way since we first got her at 8 weeks. She can sit, (mostly) give a paw, lie down, is (mostly) crate trained/housebroken.

Right now we're having problems with nipping (and I don't mean mouthing) where she will like to chase and nip at our feet/legs/ankles (even if we just stand still). I understand this is her attempts to play with us...that's why I'm looking at suggestions on how to redirect this behavior into something more positive...

We've tried lots of toys and encouraging fetch behaviors, buying new toys (including a frisbee type toy) but for the most part she doesn't want to play with us in this manner. Her modes seem to be comatose or literally running and biting (preferably with chasing us as we're walking lol). When we try and play outside she prefers to try to eat things or lie down even though we have a variety of toys outside to play with us. We've tried talking her on walks (in places that minimize risk due to her young age) and she rarely shows any interest at all (usually sits down etc). Her seemingly low activity level wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact she runs around the house biting (my "favorite" is her runby bite) and if we tell her no...try to redirect etc. she takes it out on bed (biting while shaking her head) or worse yet...her tail. I'm just concerned these behaviors are due to the fact she's bored/frustrated yet our attempts thus far to alleviate this (except for some training) hasn't worked out well. Any suggestions and has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm laughing my butt off remember those days. It wasn't fun then though so I do feel for ya. There is an entire section on biting that you should check out. There are hundreds of different suggestions and you'll have to find what works for you :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry but I'm laughing my butt off remember those days. It wasn't fun then though so I do feel for ya. There is an entire section on biting that you should check out. There are hundreds of different suggestions and you'll have to find what works for you :)
Yeah I've heard a few people reminiscing of those times..it's nice to know it ends haha. Exercise has really helped her frustrated (Tazzy) moments...now we're down to the usual ankle and hand nipping. Hopefully, training (licking rather than biting) and redirection will eventually help.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
your dog is just being a typical puppy. i use to try and tip toe around the house when my pup was sleeping because if he woke up, my feet were in danger

·
Registered
252 Posts
When my sweet girl was that age OMG I thought it would never end. She would go straight for the back if the ankles.Ouch it hurt. My boy luckily only bit the girl 😀
Finally one day it just stopped. When she nipped I would give a stern No and give her a toy.
Even freeze a washcloth it will help her with teething, i always had some in the freezer. sometimes I would give ice chips ( not cubes)
Good luck

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat! Sounds just like my pup, he's the same age. He gets frustrated when we're out of reach for biting and will take it out on whatever is near him...couch, table etc. The ankle bite is the worstttt. He also loves to eat EVERYTHING outside.

The only thing he seems to really like are peanut butter flavored bones, they will keep him busy for a few hours. But he likes to chew on them on top of shoes or our feet. Weirdo!

Can't wait till his vaccinations are done so we can start doing more puppy play dates!

·
Registered
595 Posts
One thing that has really helped with ours is teaching the 'OFF' command.

I also noticed ours was more bitey when he was tired or hungry or thirsty.
If you have an idea of the puppy's schedule, you could try putting him in his crate or playpen when he is constantly nippy or giving him food or water.( I found it a bit difficult to see their schedule at that age, and they have growth spurts where they need to eat a lot more and sleep a lot more for a day or 2.),

I also gave mine ice cubes and put him in a playpen so he could 'cool off' .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts