German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
How old is he? How often do you take him out? If this is his first time doing it, don't worry about it. Accidents happen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
How much room is he allowed in his crate? If he has access to the whole crate, and it's large, he will pee in it if he has to go as he can move to the other end to get away from it.

Most large crates come with a divider. Put the divider in the crate to reduce the amount of space he has available to him. Give him enough space to turn around and lay down comfortably, but not much else. He won't want to lay in his mess so the smaller space will help.

Also at 9 weeks old, make sure he's being taken out very frequently. At that age, we were going outside every 30 minutes to an hour.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill try a divider, the only thing that frustrates me is the first 2weeks I've had him I've never had a problem until now. I haven't changed anything either still do everything the same.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's always made it all night and all day while im at work for the past two weeks and now all of a sudden he doesn't.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Making a 9 week old pup go all night and all day without a break is kind of long.

Our Jake is 12 weeks old and we are still getting up once throughout the night to let him out and we have a dog walker coming in mid day to let him out while we are at work.

We don't make Jake go longer than 4 to 5 hours without a potty break. He may be able to hold it longer, but we don't want to rush it.

Try reducing available space in crate and frequency of potty breaks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was having the same problem with Xena and chaulked it up to being 10 weeks. Then a freind said put you cooler in the crate. I was like WHAT? It reduces the size (I dont have dividers) She went maybe once more and has been making it through the night for about 4 days now. End of the day I would say reduce water after say 7 pm and accidents will happen.

·
Registered
658 Posts
He's always made it all night and all day while im at work for the past two weeks and now all of a sudden he doesn't.
That is waaaaay to long for a 9 week old pup. You gotta take him out atleast every 3 hours! I'm surprised he even did it for the past 2 weeks you mentioned! (Don't take that as a compliment). Think of a baby and how often you have to change their diapers (5 to 6 times a day).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glad that things are back to normal, but going all day and all night for a 9 week old pup is far too long. A 9 week old pup should be let out every 3 hours during the day while they're awake, and likely once at night.

This will also help with the prevention of a UTI/Bladder Infection. Having a pup hold it for so long, even if they can, can raise the risk of infection since the urine is sitting so long in the bladder. My sister's pup was an all night sleeper right from the day she came home, but did also suffer from a bladder infection or 2.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
At that age, I didn't give him water after 7 PM. Took him out at 11PM. Then when he whined at 2 and 5, I woke up and took him outside.

He only started holding it from 10 to 6 at 12 weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts