German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have other, non-GSD pets, how do you handle quality time with them when you have a puppy? I am gone Mon-Thur from 7:30-5:30. Either I or my son run home at lunch to feed the puppy and take him outside. Sometimes I wish there were two (or three) of me. Having a puppy is so much more work because I can't really interact with my other pets while playing with the puppy, so have to split my time between them. The puppy is priority right now because he is crated when I'm away and needs a lot of attention once I'm home.

That means if I want to play fetch with my old dog, I have to either wait until someone is around (my son...rarely around until bedtime and my husband works out of town), or I have to crate again, which I hate to do. The puppy is already quite a bit bigger than my other dog and is too rough for my 13 year old shih tzu's old bones. Hopefully it will improve once the puppy has matured. He already is much better about jumping on the old dog. He doesn't jump on the cat ... her hissing/spitting/swatting convinced him to give her some space; however, she also doesn't get to act like her normal self when the puppy is out.

I'm worn out. Any suggestions? On a brighter note, this weekend, my son's girlfriend brought her puppy over (7 months old BC/Aussie/something mix, but only a bit bigger than my 10 week old pup) and they played very well. We also got a kiddie pool for the first time and I put a couple of inches of water in it. Her dog enjoyed the large water bowl but my puppy LOVED loved the pool. He first put his feet in, then he just jumped in and laid down. He spent the next two hours chasing the other dog and leaping in the pool and wallowing. He had a blast...until I had to give him a hose down and bath because he wallowed in the dirt as well as played in the water. Oh the drama .. oh the whining. He hid his face in my lap until we finished. I was soaked hehe.

The puppy is crated quite a bit and I hate it, but it's necessary at this time. He is a major gnawer too and I don't foresee him being safe to leave out in the near (or even somewhat distant) future. I can't leave him outside because a) I am afraid something will happen to him while I'm not there, even in a secure kennel (theft, snake, a 1000 possibilities that my mind can think of) and b) it's Texas with temps going into the 100's with humidity to match. Suggestions welcome about how to have quality time with all my furbabies guilt-free .. or is that even possible until he matures?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Just like kids, you juggle ;) While a puppy does take up alot of time in the beginning, they also have to learn that other animals get attention and love as well and they have to take a backseat at times.

Find special things for each animal they enjoy. For Delgado it's playing fetch or with a flirt pole, so Jazzy sits on the deck and watches. For Jazzy, it's cuddling on the couch or bed, she's the only animal allowed to sleep on my bed so she enjoys that quiet time with me. For the cats, they enjoy cuddles, so I make sure the dogs don't bug them while they're getting their cuddles

Also, make seperate times for the dogs. Both Jazzy and Delgado get onleash and offleash time with me together and seperate. I train both of them together and seperate as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im not sure. you can try feeding him in the crate. that way his meal time can be a time for you to love on your other guys!

I'm having this problem with my cats. One of my cats absolutely loves playing with and watching the new puppy run and romp. However my older cat hates the new baby. she refuses to be anywhere near him! she sits in our room (we put a gate up to keep the pup out for her) and cries and cries and cries. even when i go in to pay her attention and love on her. I'm worried she wont come around to the idea of this new fluffy thing in the house. The pup wont mess with her, doesn't even look her way anymore since she started growling at him. She still seems agitated, will that go away with time? I don't want my kitty to be miserable in a house she had full reign over before the little guy!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will try the crate feeding for a while for his last two meals. Since I'm currently feeding him four times a day, that will give the others a reprieve while I'm home to come out and play. if the puppy is out at all, neither of my other animals will act naturally. As soon as they know he is crated, they are out and ready to play. I feel sorry for them. My old man loves fetch so we play fetch until he tires out (at least now it's not 7 hours of fetch to do so like when he was just a few years younger!) and my cat enjoys chasing after him on occasion and swatting at his tail as he runs, then dashing through the house and leaping up door jams.

Once Varik gets older it will be better I'm sure, but right now I just want to make sure that my old man especially gets to enjoy his time since he's well up in years now and deserves to have as good a life now (or even more so) as it was pre-pup.

Any other suggestions, ideas are welcome! I may need to incorporate them all!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Perhaps get a waist leash and use it on the pup while you're playing fetch with the older dog? Might be a good time to teach puppy some manners and patience?

Could you set up a sort of run for puppy to be in while you play with the Shih Tzu, so puppy is at least out of the kennel? Or even a stake/tie out, since you will be right there?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could, but my old dog so far won't play if the puppy is out. He is too uneasy becayse of the puppy's jpast boisterous attempts at initiating play with him. Because of his small size, the old dog actually plays fetch indoors (we have an open floor plan so it's a plenty long run for his short legs). When it gets cooler I will probably look into an outdoor kennel for the puppy to lounge in, but that won't be for some months around here 'sigh'.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Maybe if the old guy gets more comfortable in the future.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

It's really tough for us. The only other animal we have is a high maintenence, highly family social cat. You guessed it, the dog only sees a furry chew toy looking at the cat. It's kind of a game for him at this point, but he will never touch this cat as we keep them in seperate areas. The cat gets out when the dog is crated, which is all day and most the night. He gets his socializing done then. But the dog is not allowed in the basement area and with the door open, the cat sits at the.bottom and the dog at top staring at one another.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wish I could, but my old dog so far won't play if the puppy is out. He is too uneasy becayse of the puppy's jpast boisterous attempts at initiating play with him. Because of his small size, the old dog actually plays fetch indoors (we have an open floor plan so it's a plenty long run for his short legs). When it gets cooler I will probably look into an outdoor kennel for the puppy to lounge in, but that won't be for some months around here 'sigh'.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Maybe if the old guy gets more comfortable in the future.
I'm in El Paso, so I totally understand about the darn heat. Hmmm....do you have a safe place indoors the puppy could be out of the crate? (Laundry room or someplace with a hard floor and no cabinets to chew on?) What about a playpen? (I imagine he's probably outgrown these already) We've not had two indoor dogs at a time (when we fostered a dog, it was an outdoor dog, and big enough/young enough our puppy could play with...mostly we foster cats)

The crate isn't going to hurt him, and you're doing your best, so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts