German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 week old male is acting like a drama queen when people stop him from misbehaving. For example today my brother pulled him out from under a bed because he was hiding under there and chewing someone's shoe. In response the puppy screamed as if he was being murdered, even though he wasn't being hurt at all. I think he does it because he knows other humans will rush to his defense. How can I train him to stop doing this?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Preventing him from getting the shoe would be a start. Keeping objects away that he might grab, giving him plenty of exercise, keeping him crated when you can't watch him, and putting a leash on him so he can't hide would be a few things to do if you haven't already.

Some pups don't really like being handled very much either. You may have to crate him till he calms down when acting like that.

·
Registered
30,892 Posts
You can watch your puppy so he doesn't get under the bed with the shoe to start with. No. He's not screaming because other humans will rush to his defense. Dogs do NOT think like that. He was probably just startled and didn't like what was happening.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
As others have said, puppies or dogs don't think or reason like people, they live and respond more in the moment.

Prevent it from happening in the first place by puppy proofing his area.

I personally think that any grabbing and/or forcing a puppy to do anything is incorrect. Instead, develop a dialog and connection with your puppy. Such that if he does do something or grab something that he shouldn't, you'll be able to let him know that's undesirable without force!

Don't chase and don't force.

This puppy is going to grow exponentially over the next few months. So seriously think about the relationship you'll want at that point!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts