German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Nonsense, of course you can. Take a deep breath to gather your energy, stand/sit up straight (body language is important), lower your voice (don't increase the volume), look her in the eye and say "NO/Eh/Quit" or whatever is your "Stop that!" command. Say it strongly and deeply enough to get her attention and do not smile. I've taken my hand and firmly moved the offending head/teeth aside (YMMV). Then, offer the distracting toy and play with her a bit. Tim's right, you have to be utterly consistent, 24/7. The downside is that it's a pain. The upside is that she's engaging you, but it's the only way she knows --- at the moment...

:smile2:
I have seen several, very petite, small women commanding very large dogs...so yes, the masculine voice is not it. It's all in your carriage and demeanor...don't ask, COMMAND, and don't accept anything but immediate compliance. Then fall back on the spray bottle...it really does work LOL!

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
If we all had to out-power our dogs physically, no one could master them. Compare it to a little Chihuahua who can handle a large dog. It's all about ego.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How do you make them stop ? From your experience...redirecting? Verbal command ?
all of mine have gone for the feet. Even my current puppy. I say no and re-direct onto a toy. for me this has always worked. If anyone has ever had a Malinois puppy, now those are land sharks!!! And they will hang on like an aligator. Even worked on them. It was harder if you were around a whole loose litter!!! Then it was just hysterical. My friend had a litter of Mals who got parvo so they all ended up at the vet hospital. They all made it thru and when they were ready to leave, the tech called and said, "what are these things!??" She had 2 attached to her ankles, one was on her arm and the other two were on her back.
But seriously, no, and re-direct onto a soft toy.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts