German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Neeko is almost 5 months (he has been with me for 2 weeks) He loves to play tug and chase his balls inside the house but loses all energy and playfulness when we go outside. I would love to play outside because there is so much more room for him to be able to run and for us to play and throw balls. He will swim but isn't interested in toys with water either. Is he just hot or overwhelmed? He doesn't really explore vs playing he more just gets lazy and waits for us to go back inside.

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
It might even be humidity. If the temps feel good to us but the dew point is high, they will have a hard time cooling off.

Since you've only been together for two weeks and he is still very new to this world, he may be just cautious. As he learns the new rules for life with you and the weather cools, you will probably seen a change in his attitude about outdoor play. Just be patient.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My pup wasn't interested at all in playing with his toys while swimming at first, but one day my nephew and I started playing catch with his ball and ever since he loves bringing a toy in with him. I think we just made it seem like the ball was super fun and at the same time he was getting more comfortable with his swimming. We keep a life jacket on him so he doesn't get tired as fast. As for not playing much outside, it's still summer and it's pretty warm outside. My 4 month old does the same thing. He loves playing out when the sun starts going down though, but during the heat of the day every few times we go outback he will fetch a few times or chase his flirt pole for a few minutes and then he is laying by the door. One of my favorite things to wear him out inside is his flirt pole. He also loves playing some tug, with some training mixed in here and there.

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
Just a bit of a reminder ---- Stop playing before your dog tires of it. Neither training nor play should wear your pup (or dog) out. Burn a little energy? Yes. Wear out? No.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts