German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 23 weeks old and usually eats his food as soon as it’s given to him. Today though he has little to no interest in his dog food or people food. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just today? If so, I wouldn't be terribly worried. I think if this goes on for multiple days, I would take the pup to the vet

Sometimes dental issues cause this. I would check the pups teeth to make sure nothing is wrong there.

And to each their own, but my previous Shepherds that I fed table food, became less likely to eat their own food and I would have days where they wouldn't eat. My latest pups that I went with a strict no table food, I haven't had these issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Any other symptoms or change in behavior?

If it's just not eating, just give him a day for recovery. Maybe he is overfed, tummy ache etc. No problem.

If there are other symptoms (lethargy, vomiting, hiding in weird spots) take him to the vet. With things like bloats, twisted intestines etc. he will be dead by next morning. And if not dead, he will get organ damage, and will be dead shortly anyway.

·
Registered
773 Posts
23 weeks? I'd suspect normal teething as long as there are no other symptoms such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea or fevers.

This^^^^^He's getting his adult teeth..his mouth is sensitive because of that...so some days they don't eat like normal....as was stated this is likely true if that is his only symptom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He still hasn’t eaten today and he didn’t even finish his breakfast yesterday. I’m taking him to the vet in the morning and they are going to check him out. They told me to give him pepto and to keep an eye on him. He isnt hiding anywhere, just laying around and he looks like he feels bad. It was a sudden change in mood for him, like he was fine yesterday morning and by the time I got off work he wasn’t eating and was acting like he felt bad. I know he lost a tooth earlier today because I found one. His tongue is pale today also

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t usually feed him human food, but right now I’ll feed him anything I can get him to eat

·
Registered
264 Posts
He still hasn’t eaten today and he didn’t even finish his breakfast yesterday. I’m taking him to the vet in the morning and they are going to check him out. They told me to give him pepto and to keep an eye on him. He isnt hiding anywhere, just laying around and he looks like he feels bad. It was a sudden change in mood for him, like he was fine yesterday morning and by the time I got off work he wasn’t eating and was acting like he felt bad. I know he lost a tooth earlier today because I found one. His tongue is pale today also
If his lips, gums and tongue start getting pale and dry it is an emergency vet trip not a tomorrow morning get an appointment trip. Puppies also swallow all sorts of things including lost teeth so if he vomits or can not pass stool or has diarrhea, those add up to a possible blockage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to make an emergency vet visit but they can’t see him until tomorrow morning. We went to the vet this morning and was told that tomorrow would be the soonest they could see him. I don’t live somewhere that an emergency vet is around

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
When my older dog was a pup he would sometimes skip meals but was fine. It would drive me crazy because a normal vet visit would have happened recently with poop samples, etc.

Now, my current pup at 19 weeks. If he ever skipped a meal, the National Guard is being called in :) He's just super excited about every.single.meal. I would know something was wrong.

You mentioned he's drooling. That can be a sign of pain - does the drooling seem odd to you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The drooling did seem odd. I called the vet back and told him that his condition had gotten worse so they told me to bring him in and they were waiting on me. We know it isn’t parvo that test came back negative but his gums have no color in them. Once I hear from the vet again I’ll post an update

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: the vet said he has hookworms and was extremely anemic. He was given a blood transfusion and dewormer and is staying at the vets office for a few days. They said he might not make it through the night but that he did perk up after the transfusion so that’s hopeful. I will know more in the morning. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I hope your dog will be good. I get a dog for the first time 2 months ago and can't imagine that something happen to him. Very sad to hear that :-((

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh no!! I hope your little guy is going to be ok! I’m relieved to hear he’s under the vets care right now. I feel so bad for not reading all of your posts in this thread. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get your pup in sooner and he is getting good vet care. Hookworms are so hard on young dogs. Praying he pulls through. While he is at the vet it would be a good time to make a trip around your yard and clean up any poop. Hookworm reinfection is common. Keeping waste cleaned up is very important. And since I'm a believer in positive vibes being powerful I'm going to assume a positive outcome. When your pup comes home he will need some help with his GI tract recovery and immune system rebuilding. Momsto2gsd and Carmspack (along with many others) have a wealth of knowledge on nutrition. You might want to pm them... confident they will help with nutrition during his recovery.
My girl had several recurrent episodes of hooks. Took a good while to get her gut health back in order. Goats milk and bone broth were helpful. Pre and probiotics will help with food assimilation too. Sending positive thoughts your way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your kind words! I will let you know in the morning when they give me a call. I did end up googling the signs that your dog is near death and I witnessed him experience all of these signs today. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts through this tough time. Also this is my sweet boy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
What a good looking pup. I would be optimistic about him getting better. Lost blood was replaced and he was treated for the cause. Positive thoughts for your pup.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts