German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question..I have a 6 month old puppy. He has ate Canidae ALS since he went to dry food and has also loved it and went crazy for it when its time to eat a couple of weeks ago he got parvo even though he had had all his shots and everything from the vet. He had to stay at the hosiptal for 1 week and when he came home they had gave me a few cans of Royal Canine wet food and told me to give it to him for a couple of days till he was feeling a little better thats what they had given him to for him to start eating again while he was there. So I did and he ate it and now he WILL NOT eat his dry food he came home last Saturday and Tuesday I gave him his dry food again and he just wont eat it I got on here and read and saw were people said they wont starve themselves and they will start eating it and if you keep giving them something else they will become picky. I have tried mixing water and chicken broth in it he wont eat I put some treats in it and he picks them out. He already lost a lot of weight from parvo and now more because he isnt eating. He has ate maybe 2 bowls since Tues tops.???????

What to do???? I like the canidae and he always really has too?

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Probably, because he had pain in his guts eating dry food. He will refuse "wet" Royal Canine if you start feeding raw chiken, fish and raw beef, fresh bones and yogurts. That is his body tells him what is better and more natural.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I would feed him whatever you can to get him to eat. He's recovering from parvo - his body needs what it can - work out the pickiness at a later date.

:)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I agree--forget about worrying about him being picky. He needs energy to continue healing.

When I used to feed kibble I always added stuff in for my dogs anyway because it's healthier than just eating kibble. Try Merrick canned food. Dogs usually like the gravy style. Mix that in with his food or, if you have any cans left from the vet, mix those with a little water and mix with the kibble.

If he doesn't want kibble at all then either just give him canned or go with a homemade diet for a while, until he's better.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Try cooking him chicken. Make sure not to give bones, if cooked. Some people mix cooked rice in with the chicken, say 1/2 cup rice to 1 cup chicken. If that does not work, bacon never fails.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I agree with the others ... he's been sick and I'd baby him, give him what he feels like eating and worry about weaning him back to his normal diet later.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I wouldn't give bacon after he's been sick, because of the fat content. You want to stick with bland food until his gut heals from the parvo. That's why I go with homemade. The suggestion of cooked chicken breasts and overcooked rice is a good one, if he'll eat it. You can add in some sweet potato and a little plain canned pumpkin too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys after your suggestion I went and got a bag of blue buffalo large breed puppy and a bunch of cans of blue buffalo large breed food. He has been eating it really hood I give him 1 1/3 cup of dry mixed with 1/3 of a can 3 times a day. He eats it all and has gained most of his weight back. I'm going to do that for another week or so and then start using more dry and less canned everytime till he is back on just dry food. I tried to give him just dry but he wasn't having it lol. But he is doing great and has all his energy back and everything!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts