German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are having some major problems with our boy Bentley. He is about 4 months old and we have him living with our 9 year old female GSD. They have had their puppy/adult run in's and we thought that would teach him. However he will not learn to leave her along...constantly nipping at her, walking into her, jumping on her, barking at her. He does it in a playful manner, but she has corrected him numerous times some times causing small injuries even. Well this morning he jumped on her again while going out the door and got bit on the snout requiring a few stitches. We exercise them multiple times per day, we have leashed him to pull him away anytime he isn't respecting her, but nothing works. Even after he got bit this morning he was going right back after her. We are at a loss, but we don't want our puppy to keep getting hurt nor do we want our adult to have to keep defending herself like this. Any ideas or are we at the point where we may need to find the puppy a new home?

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
I would keep them separated unless he is leashed and you are training him to not do those things. Do you have a trainer?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had a trainer just for general puppy training, but it appears we have to get some more one on one. A lot of people tell us the adult will correct this behavior and put the puppy in his place, but it isn't happening.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
Most of the time that happens just like that but apparently he's a tough cookie. :) I would look for a trainer experienced with German Shepherds. I have had the best luck with my trainer who understands the breed and all their quirks. Looks for a Schutzhund club and a trainer with positive based methods.

Since your senior correcting him is not working, what are you doing to stop him? Are you redirecting him with a toy? Are you removing him from her so he can't irritate her?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know he cries for about 5 seconds...forgets about it...and goes back at it. We try to separate him with toys, kennel, one outside and one inside. I've had him on a leash to pull him away when he goes to do something to her, but it just doesn't end. You're all dog people to so you know how frustrating it can be to watch your adult dog get picked on and your puppy get hurt. Sucky day today.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
yeah :( I have an adult dog who would attack the Jax. He's just a puppy though. With training, he'll get it. :) Just be consistent with him. And get a good trainer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any of you have luck with scars from stitches healing up good and going away? He had another on his snout from her that didn't require stitches and healed up so you can't see it, but this one needed stitches so probably will be worse. Ahh why can't my buddy just learn!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Havs got a small bite from Felony--no scar. Temps had cysts removed from her head at 5 months--multiple stitches right down the center of her face--no scars. There is only a slight puckering under her eye. Based on my anecdotal evidence, I think pups recover form stitches very well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Havs got a small bite from Felony--no scar. Temps had cysts removed from her head at 5 months--multiple stitches right down the center of her face--no scars. There is only a slight puckering under her eye. Based on my anecdotal evidence, I think pups recover form stitches very well.
Good to hear. We just made sure we took really good care of his last incident on the snout and it went away, but we are more worried about this one due to the stitches. We'll just have to make sure we take really good care of it for him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tried correcting the puppy when he acts in this manner, instead of just waiting for your adult dog to make the correction? I had a senior and puppy before. The senior was too old, so I was the one who had to let the puppy know it was not ok to jump all over and bite the senior. I had to be diligent and firm, but the puppy eventually learned that the senior was off limits.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried correcting the puppy when he acts in this manner, instead of just waiting for your adult dog to make the correction? I had a senior and puppy before. The senior was too old, so I was the one who had to let the puppy know it was not ok to jump all over and bite the senior. I had to be diligent and firm, but the puppy eventually learned that the senior was off limits.
Yes we have leashed him in the house and corrected him when he crosses the boundaries. We have we redirected with toys, but he's a stubborn little guy. We'll obviously have to be even more strict and probably limit interaction until he learns, but any other ideas are welcome. We are looking for answers.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hi I'm new here and may not have the experience everyone else has here, but I can tell you what seems to be working for me. My 9 week old , today, GS puppy irritates my two older dogs. One is a 13 year old shih tzu. He bites her over and over even when she not in the playing mood. What I am doing is everytime he irritates her I put him outside on the patio for about 5 minutes. He can see us through the glass doors and he cries. When I let him back in I tell him to play nice. It took me about 4 times , but he seems to be getting it and has been leaving my shih tzu alone for the past 2 days. I like you, am hoping this works because I feel bad for him, when both older dogs go after him. I hope he doesn't become a little terror in the upcoming months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi I'm new here and may not have the experience everyone else has here, but I can tell you what seems to be working for me. My 9 week old , today, GS puppy irritates my two older dogs. One is a 13 year old shih tzu. He bites her over and over even when she not in the playing mood. What I am doing is everytime he irritates her I put him outside on the patio for about 5 minutes. He can see us through the glass doors and he cries. When I let him back in I tell him to play nice. It took me about 4 times , but he seems to be getting it and has been leaving my shih tzu alone for the past 2 days. I like you, am hoping this works because I feel bad for him, when both older dogs go after him. I hope he doesn't become a little terror in the upcoming months.
That's essentially the same problem we are having. The little one cannot just sit down and relax around the older one and constantly finds the need to go stand over her, nip at her, run into her, etc. We are now trying the same thing...kennel for about 5 minutes each time he does it. Hopefully he learns!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts