German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old puppy is fully toilet trained and has just come out of a crate. When he was left in his crate he could hold any mess until he was let out and was fine. We recently moved into our new house a month ago and we now leave him in the garage where he sleeps. He has all his toys in there along with his bed, however now when we leave him alone in there he seems to be messing everywhere instead of holding it in. Does anyone know why he keeps doing this or how we can stop it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Before your move, where did the pup sleep? In the house? or alone in the garage?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Maybe try for a night or two and bring crate inside and see if that helps. That way the pup can get your smells and feel more secure. See if this helps you. If so, you know what to do from there.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Maybe a bigger crate? or Maybe put the bed in your room in the corner on the floor? I am sure someone else will chime in pretty soon. I am sorry That's all I got. but one good thing, it keeps this bumped up, so people see it :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
He is in a new environment, still a puppy and this whole huge area.

He really isn't ready to be out of the crate yet. If you want him to spend his time in the garage while both of you are at work - 2 options - set up a kennel, or a larger crate. Once everything from the move has settled and he has settled from the move, you can try again with leaving him out of the crate. Some dogs do take longer then others to be ready for staying out of the crate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Seems to me like the combo of a new house and being in the garage are 2 new factors that he's not used to yet. You're expecting him to transfer the environmental learnings from the previous house to the new. At least his crate is a familiar thing so maybe set that up again (or a bigger one) with his blankets or bed and start over from there. My puppy is 9 months and there is no way he's ready to be left alone uncrated.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The whole garage, all by himself. Maybe that's part of the problem my dogs always prefer to be where I am.

·
Banned
120 Posts
It doesn´t seem he is FULLY potty trained. he was potty trained half way. he knows that in his crate is not potty area, but now since he has the whole garage for himself, in a place new place he doesn´t really know the rules.. he figured he can sleep at one corner of it.. and go potty in the other 1. To let your dog free without messing takes some time. they are used to routine. and since he was taken out of his he got confused.
Maybe try buying him a bigger crate and keeping him in there in the garage and letting him out to his potty area, show him where to go..
Or buy a crate or a bed and put it in your room. keep him there and then show him his potty place..

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
The dog is fully house trained and is going to the bathroom in the house...alright then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts