German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 11 months old. Intact male. I've had him since he was 9 weeks. Everything has been great. We take daily walks both on-leash and off. My training tools are a prong collar for leash walking and a E-Collar for off-leash. I have a solid recall command for him. The only problem, and I use the word problem reluctantly, is when he meets other dogs. He comes in submissive like he should and allows the other dogs to smell him without any fuss. But when he goes to sniff for himself and a dog won't allow him to he won't get the message. Is this just an age thing or should I be correcting him if he goes back to sniff a dog who has already warned him?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Teach him a "Leave it" command and proof it with objects you have control over before you use it for other dogs.

Rafi had zero social skills when I adopted him. Now he is off-leash trained (with no e-collar) and if I tell him to "Leave it" with another dog he just moves on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I do have a leave it command. The problem usual is the other dogs owner. I try and correct my dogs behavior and then they jump in thinking their dog did something wrong. It get's very frustrating having your efforts sabotaged by someone else's stupidity. At this point I would pay to be able to take my dog to a stable pack.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like you have a solid foundation and just need to keep up with what you're doing. Your boy could be going back for the second sniff as either ignorant/friendly/curious or as a way to say "hey, I am intent on a sniff and you better let me sniff you". Either way, sounds like you have a great foundation to build on and just practice the "leave it" and re-focus him. Practice, practice, practice... He'll be awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts