German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luno is a lovable puppy! Like any GSD he is attached to my hip, he is only 3 1/2 months old. I crate him when he gets mouthy and super needy, and he get a 2-3 min time out. I'm mainly concerned about him getting over the "momma" phase, I can't even wash dishes, go to the restroom, or walk more than 10 feet away without him going crazy!!!! barking freaking out. This is just a stage right? Any suggestion on how to get through this, the trainer says to ignore him and I do, I also treat him on the rare occasion that he is quit when walk away to go to the fridge.

I also have th problem when we are going on a car ride, he is in the back seat and I'll be getting gas and he freaks out. How am I supposed to ignore a screeching, whining, barking pup out in public people probably think hes being tortured!

Thanks for any help at all!! Or any experience of this?:D

·
Registered
936 Posts
you definitely want to work with him so he does not develop into a full fledged separation anxiety pup. Clingy can make that a higher risk. He needs to learn to be alone in his crate for longer than 2-3 minutes. We put our in it at dinner time, we eat, clean up the house, etc, let him out about 45 minutes later while ignoring him while he is in there.

My current little guy is happy to chew on his bone, fall asleep in the kitchen or I will go somewhere in the house to grab something, turn the corner and look back and he is still where he was. He is home alone a couple times a day and on weekends we go out for 2-3 hours for us and when we get back he is sitting pretty.

Does your pup spend any time alone or do you have him with you 24x7?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for responding!!!! I really appreciate the advice. He does get put in the crate when I'm at work which varies from 5 hr to 7hr (I come home and let him out on my lunch). He also gets put in the crate during dinner sometimes. I'm working on letting him have more freedom in the house when I'm home in hopes that he will become more independent.

Any other suggestion would greatly be appreciated. He is going to be 4 mon on sept 4. He has his good days and bad! How old is your pup now that he is perfectly content by himself?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts