German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Honestly I have never understood the draw to putting bows on dogs. I can appreciate that some places put a bandanna on after a bath but bows?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Little dogs that need extensive, regular grooming. It鈥檚 pretty common and they usually leave them on.

Registered
Little dogs that need extensive, regular grooming. It鈥檚 pretty common and they usually leave them on.
I understand the types that they put them on but then again I'm a wash'n'wear kind of dog person so any breed I owned that required shaving would be "puppy" cut at home :shrug:

All that aside, it truly is awful that it happened. Hopefully this story will encourage people to always check the bows immediately after pick up

Registered
That's sad. I remember not long ago a small dog had its ear cut off at the groomer.

Super Moderator
I鈥檝e been a groomer for 42 years, and so far I鈥檝e managed not to cut off a dog鈥檚 body part. Apparently that groomer put a rubber band around the whole ear? Craziness. Too many people out there that have no idea what they鈥檙e doing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that is what happened. Maybe it slipped and they didn鈥檛 notice. Grooming takes a lot of skill.

A puppy no less. it is terrible that they did this to the ear but when they are "babies" we want the best for them. I can understand the owner being upset but there is nothing corporate can do to make this better beyond paying all the bills and firing the groomer and make sure they hire the right people going forward.

Super Moderator
Yes, that is what happened. Maybe it slipped and they didn鈥檛 notice. Grooming takes a lot of skill.
Unfortunately, no. I just put bows on a maltese this morning. There is no way you can put that tiny rubber band around the whole ear without doing it on purpose. Yikes. Plus they reimbursed them $147 for the groom??? On that puppy? That price is outrageous.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
How much is a general grooming and clip? I think someone told me they pay $90 for each grooming. What costs $147? Geez, I used to pay $20 for a bath. Now I do it myself.

Registered
Poor pup. I'm not a big believer in the court system, but petco needs to do right by the dog and family. Continued vet care and special precautions will need for the the life time of the dog, the ear canal is now open to all sorts of debris, water, etc..

Registered
How much is a general grooming and clip? I think someone told me they pay $90 for each grooming. What costs $147? Geez, I used to pay $20 for a bath. Now I do it myself.
Back in the 80's I was quoted $100.00 to bathe a small, friendly GSD at the groomer. That was my first and last quote. The place went out of business a few months later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Back in the 80's I was quoted $100.00 to bathe a small, friendly GSD at the groomer. That was my first and last quote. The place went out of business a few months later.
That is ridiculous! My mom used a mobile groomer that came to her house for her little fluff balls and paid around $85 apiece for the convenience and the works. That included a special trim since her dogs had very long fur that tangled. They always got a little top knot with a bow.

Registered
I remember stories of groomers killing dogs when they left the dogs in the cages with hot dryers blowing them and the groomers forgetting about the dogs. The dogs overheat and die. Stories like these made me decide never to use a groomer.

Super Moderator
Every dog I groom is taken straight from the bathtub to the drying table to be blow dried. I haven鈥檛 seen a cage dryer since the 70鈥檚. I鈥檝e never done corporate grooming (Petco, Petsmart), so I have no clue what goes on there. Frankly, the most you need to be concerned about is a bad grooming job, or someone being overly rough with your dog, or hitting it. Grooming takes infinite patience, and some artistic skill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts