German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve made an appointment at the vet but it’s not till Wednesday... so hopefully maybe someone here can calm me down till then.

literally noticed 20 minutes ago that Nero is getting a bald patch by his ear!! And the hair is coming off him in clumps!

called the vet literally straight away. She said maybe parasites? I’ve also googled, and according to google maybe ticks, mites or flees? He’s itching a bit but not a lot. I found a tick on him day before yesterday and removed it.

He has great appetite and no diarrhoea. Is happy and playful. He has had worms in his poo last 2x times I’ve dewormed him (last time being Saturday). So he will he dewormed again 2 weeks from then (as per my vet’s instructions).

He is on the “skinny side” but not so bad (will include pic). Last picture is all the hair that came out from me lightly brushing him!!! I asked vet over the phone if this is possibly him loosing his puppy fur- she said that’s not possible.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is he scratching at the bald spot on his ear? Is he generally more itchy than usual? My first thought was mange...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he scratching at the bald spot on his ear? Is he generally more itchy than usual? My first thought was mange...
No he’s not scratching! Like a little I’ve noticed him biting his paws or haunches but not really scratching. I just managed to wrestle him down to look closer and I see some red dots though in his bald spot... might that be mites?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve just googled mange - and it does sound like demodectic mange. Ugh ☹. Just wondering how I can up his immune system if that is it... so upsetting

·
Registered
576 Posts
Poor diet can exascerbate skin problems. Maybe need to up the quality of his food. Besides body condition, skin problems is one of first clues to have a diet deficient in good nutrients. What's he get now? Brand and how much?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor diet can exascerbate skin problems. Maybe need to up the quality of his food. Besides body condition, skin problems is one of first clues to have a diet deficient in good nutrients. What's he get now? Brand and how much?
I’m currently in the process of changing his food to Royal Canin Maxi Puppy - it’s still being mixed in with Royal Canin Gastro Puppy ... he had a bad virus a few weeks ago and got severe diarrhoea. So he was put on gastro to let his gut recover. He eats it really well and enjoys it - it’s what his breeder fed him. I wasn’t planning on always keeping him on it but wanted to keep it going for a while longer, And since I’m in the process of changing food now - don’t really want to start messing around with his stomach again. Obviously, if that’s what is needed then I will do it - but I just get the feeling he does like it, and I’m happy he has good appetite on it (he lost all interest in food while he had the virus and lost weight, and I feel we are just at a good place finally).

Currently giving him 4 meals a day. Each meal is 5/8 a cup of maxi puppy and 2/8 of gastro.. this has been built up over the last week. Still have a few more days till transition is over.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there maybe something I can give him on top of his food? Just as an idea. And then in a month transition him again.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Of COURSE he's loosing his hair! It's SHEDDING SEASON!!
I swept my bedroom floor this morning. By this evening, it was once again covered with dog hair!
What I see on your dog's butt looks like normal hair loss due to seasonal shedding. The face I'm not so sure about, but it certainly doesn't look bad. He may have a mild ear infection, and the hair loss is due to him scratching or rubbing the ear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of COURSE he's loosing his hair! It's SHEDDING SEASON!!
I swept my bedroom floor this morning. By this evening, it was once again covered with dog hair!
What I see on your dog's butt looks like normal hair loss due to seasonal shedding. The face I'm not so sure about, but it certainly doesn't look bad. He may have a mild ear infection, and the hair loss is due to him scratching or rubbing the ear.
even if he’s only 14 weeks old? Didn’t think they blew their coat until they had matured.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The hair DOES come off in clumps during shedding season. I would only worry if you pull a clump off, and there's bare skin underneath.

It's a favourite past-time of GSD owners at this time of year to pull the clumps of hair off, if they can get the dog to stand still for long enough.

Puppies lose their puppy coat between 3 and 6 months, so he's in the right age bracket for his first shed. And it's DEFINITELY the right time of year! :rolleyes:

Edit: I really see nothing wrong with that ear. It's normal for the hair to be thin in that area, just in front of the ear. The coat often does appear somewhat thinner during shedding until the winter coat grows in. If your dog had mange, he would be scratching like crazy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The hair DOES come off in clumps during shedding season. I would only worry if you pull a clump off, and there's bare skin underneath.

It's a favourite past-time of GSD owners at this time of year to pull the clumps of hair off, if they can get the dog to stand still for long enough.

Puppies lose their puppy coat between 3 and 6 months, so he's in the right age bracket for his first shed. And it's DEFINITELY the right time of year! :rolleyes:

Edit: I really see nothing wrong with that ear. It's normal for the hair to be thin in that area, just in front of the ear. The coat often does appear somewhat thinner during shedding until the winter coat grows in. If your dog had mange, he would be scratching like crazy.

He’s definitely not scratching! I mean maybe once or twice a day but that’s more at his neck/collar area and about a 5 second scratch with his paw kind of thing.

It’s a definite circle of hair missing though - but my husband mentioned how 2 days ago he was sniffing in a hedge and he yelped, started to cry and began rubbing his head against the ground- so maybe stinging nettles or something like that? He stopped crying/rubbing after 5 min or so which is why my husband hadn’t mentioned it to me. But now thinking maybe he came in contact with something.

Anyway vet tomorrow morning- so hopefully will have conclusive info after.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts