German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I write this, Odin is in his crate. Sleeping. He sleeps in it at night outside of our room with the door open so he sees us and before going to sleep, he whines a bit, maybe a min or two, we ignore him, then he is silent and sleeps like it is supposed to and believe it or not, he does not complain or whine again. So I am having no problems for when he sleeps.

The problem is when I put him in the crate during the day. He starts the whining for 1-10 minutes (longer than at night) and his mat, he starts scratching it, kicking it and biting it. Result: I took the mat out and the berserking stopped. Did I do this correctly ? He has now no mat in it there but I replaced it with some towels that he for now nips a bit on but does not berskerk. He also has some of his toys in there where he plays.

During the day, I keep him in there for a few minutes to up to an hour supervised. I do this several times a day, the one hour I do once, the 10 minute and a bit more I do several times a day. The good thing is, I leave the door open during when he is not in the crate and he voluntarily goes in there to sleep and pick his toy or play with it in there and this makes me happy,
however, the recent berserking attacks and scratching on the mat made me concern that maybe he is getting fed up of the mat. He does not do that with his bed in the dining hall for example. Any advice ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Some dogs can have a mat in their crates, and some can't. So I wouldn't worry about that.

You sound like you are on the right path with crating, just make sure if you do put him in during the day you ignore the bad behavior and only let him out or go past with a 'good boy' when he's quiet.

Other thing that is a huge help is upping the exercising during the day when he's outside the crate. Car rides. Socialization. Puppy classes. A good puppy is a tired puppy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts