German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I was told at least 2 rounds of shots...So depending on when shots were given, 10 or 11 weeks I would say. We took Argos at 4 months and in my opinion that was too late. He was a monster 40lbs and extremely intimidating to the other younger, or much smaller puppies who were there. We frequently felt like the red-headed step child as we sat in a corner while the other dogs played. (We were in a class with 2 Chihuahuas, A Mini Schnauzer, A Cavi-poo, and a 12 week old lab)

We did Puppy Kindergarten...and I think it's important to realize that in the class (ours anyway) they cram in ALOT of information. I think in large part because this is the only training the average pet owner ever bothers with, so instructors feel if they can teach you how to to teach the basics, your dog will be better off...Don't feel like you puppy has to master everything. Truly I think as far as obedience exercises in puppy class go it's MUCH more about teaching YOU how to teach your dog, then for the dog to actually master the commands...especially a puppy in kindergarten.

I agree with everyone, the socialization aspect is invaluable. Even if you don't let your puppy romp with everyone else, the other dogs present allow you to work on getting your puppy to focus on you and ignore other dogs....that's what we did.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.