German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a puppy/puppies that jumped all the time.?

Let me explain. When I take my 5 month old puppy outside off leash he jumps the whole way out to his spot. I mean he doesnt jump on me, or anything else doesn't jump off of high places. He is just right next to me maybe you could even call it a hop but he is above my waist. JW what everyone thinks of this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well it sounds to me like general puppy rambunctiousness. Remy jumps & bounces when we jog & I've been training him not to. Started small, if he kept a few strides without jumping I'd click & treat. Over time we're now able to run several blocks without hopping. Not sure if that helps you but that's what we did.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
My puppy is 14 weeks old today, and I swear that she often forgets she's a dog because she jumps / hops around like a rabbit when she gets excited.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
maybe your dog isn't ready for off leash training. being leashed
will help controll the jumping. shorten the leash by folding it down
(ribbon style), get a shorter leash or slide your hand down the leash
and hold the leash closer to the dog's collar.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe your dog isn't ready for off leash training. being leashed
will help controll the jumping. shorten the leash by folding it down
(ribbon style), get a shorter leash or slide your hand down the leash
and hold the leash closer to the dog's collar.
It has nothing to do with OB I know that much.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i thought you were training off leash. same answer. leash control.

maybe your dog isn't ready for off leash training.

>>>>being leashed will help controll the jumping. shorten the leash by folding it down(ribbon style), get a shorter leash or slide your hand down the leash and hold the leash closer to the dog's collar.<<<<
It has nothing to do with OB I know that much.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope just when we walk out the back door into the backyard .The whole way to his potty place he bounces right next to me as if it where a heel. Very energetic little dude.

I was more or less wondering if anyone else had a little bouncey dog or was he just extra driven.

As far as OB is concerned. He has excellent focus a joy to train really. He is very intelligent. He is already thinking for himself and for the most part he makes good decisions.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Puppyness. Penny does it in the yard as well

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Dax is 15 weeks tomorrow and he's a jumper. I take him outside on leash because he had this poop eating fetish but now it's just easier right now to get him back inside when he's supposed to. But he bounces. he's a bouncer puppy. he jumps almost every chance he gets. Usually the jumping will slow/stop the older they get especially if they're taught not to do it but my gosh, my pup loves to bounce.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dax is 15 weeks tomorrow and he's a jumper. I take him outside on leash because he had this poop eating fetish but now it's just easier right now to get him back inside when he's supposed to. But he bounces. he's a bouncer puppy. he jumps almost every chance he gets. Usually the jumping will slow/stop the older they get especially if they're taught not to do it but my gosh, my pup loves to bounce.
I would say thats Django. He jumps whenever he can. I try not to correct as much as possible. At this point Im more or less redirecting in lou of corrections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe someone can give me some pointers. Beeze is 8 mths old and knows all his basic commands sit, down, stay, come, no bite. But when I walk in the house he gets so excited he runs around me nearly knocking me down and jumps and nips at arms or ankles. He's 75 lbs and my 1st GSD. I love him to death but we've got to get over this jumping. I give the sit command and he sits gets praise love and then we are back to the jumping. After about 5 mins he's over it. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For us, we were able to curb Remy jumping up on us in the house with the spray bottle. Mainly it was happening when I come home from work. I use the sprayer very sparingly but nothing else was working in this situation. I only had to point it at him a few times and pretty much that ended it. One he stays in a sit & calms down I treat & praise heavily.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts