German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have 15 weeks old white german shepherd and she is starting to go nuts. Chewing thing she is especially told not to. And today she jumped on me when I was sitting and throwing her ball playing tug with her basically watching her and playing with her. She put her front legs on me and I thought she just want to cuddle and she started biting me. I pinned her down but she stood up and was bitting me again. I ignored her but she tried to bite my legs. I made her focus on toy for few seconds and than put her in crate till the time she stopped whining and barking. I mean I give her lots of exercise - physical (walkies, ball throwing etc) also two or three times a day obedience training and some brain games for her. But she keeps doing this some time and sometimes it feels like a lot and like she doesn't like me. Is it normal? And what should I do about desteoying things and biting? Was it bad to pin her down bc I was feeling aweful after pinning her down. I mean she can't stay unseprvised in room free, only in cage or playpen othervise the house would be in huge danger. Its ok now bc I am at home (uni break) but once the school will start she will have to be home alone... Sorry guys for long text hope you sticked to the end. Thank you for all your advices

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
711 Posts
Hi guys, I have 15 weeks old white german shepherd and she is starting to go nuts. Chewing thing she is especially told not to. And today she jumped on me when I was sitting and throwing her ball playing tug with her basically watching her and playing with her. She put her front legs on me and I thought she just want to cuddle and she started biting me. I pinned her down but she stood up and was bitting me again. I ignored her but she tried to bite my legs. I made her focus on toy for few seconds and than put her in crate till the time she stopped whining and barking. I mean I give her lots of exercise - physical (walkies, ball throwing etc) also two or three times a day obedience training and some brain games for her. But she keeps doing this some time and sometimes it feels like a lot and like she doesn't like me. Is it normal? And what should I do about desteoying things and biting? Was it bad to pin her down bc I was feeling aweful after pinning her down. I mean she can't stay unseprvised in room free, only in cage or playpen othervise the house would be in huge danger. Its ok now bc I am at home (uni break) but once the school will start she will have to be home alone... Sorry guys for long text hope you sticked to the end. Thank you for all your advices
Plenty of threads her on dealing with the land shark phase. Stop pinning your dog down.

Search results for query: land shark

Search results for query: bit inhibition

Search results for query: puppy biting

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
They aren't cell phones. They don't come pre programmed. I will never understand why people get puppies while in university.
You can't communicate with a dog by telling it what you don't want, you need to tell them what you do want, and they aren't toys to be played with at your convenience.
Of course she cannot be unsupervised. She's a baby!
Do some reading and some learning, sort of like school. Training a pup is a 24/7 job, but if you do it right there is a huge reward and it never feels like work.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Also, a puppy doesn't speak your language. Telling them what to do will never work. Show them what you want and when they respond accordingly, reward them greatly.

How long is the pup going to be alone when you go back to your classes? You may need someone to come regularly and let the pup out for a potty break or two or three.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Yes it's normal for a bit
No it's not because she doesn't like you
Don't pin your puppy, it teaches nothing, there are age appropriate corrections that can be done and escalated as necessary.

Read the dozens of biting threads on this and put in the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Give her something to bite instead of you. She is probably starting to teethe. You can play with her all day and she will still want to bite because her gums hurt.

Only ever pet or reward her when all four paws are on the floor. Sometimes we choose when we allow jumping and when we don’t and expect the dog to know the difference but they never will. It’s best to just never allow it by never rewarding it with our attention or affection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts