German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 16 week old GSD and live in the city where I take her for long walks and meet a lot of other walking dogs. She tends to jump at every other dog she meets. I realize that it is puppy behaviour but no other dog seems to be doing this and most dogs land up growling at her for that behaviour. Is there anything I should be doing to stop this? If so, what? Or do I just hope that she will learn on her own as she gets older?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sounds like she just wants to play. I'd take her to a puppy class where she can play and socialize with other pups her age. At that age, Stosh would go up to dogs and bark right in their face, over and over. The dogs that growl at your pup are just saying to knock it off you're bothering me.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Keep your puppy to yourself. Never let her jump on a strange dog as not only might it piss off the dog, but it might well piss off the owner. Shorten the leash when people or dogs approach so she physically can't do this and praise her when she discovers she can't do it.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
I agree with Elaine.
I would redirect the pup back to me before the pup begins the jumping(timing is everything). If you don't get a handle on this now, you are setting your pup up to get harmed. Carry treats, a high value toy or ball and make the pup sit or focus on you when you see another dog approaching.

Some dogs don't growl when a dog invades, they just bite.
Pups usually get a pass, but I think it ends at about 5 months...your pups is about to expire!
If this continues, when you do put pressure on the leash it may cause your pup to become reactive, so now is the time to get this under control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts