German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very few dogs will go where they sleep, that's why crating works. Get a crate just big enough for him to stand and turn around in. He'll curl into a little ball and sleep just fine, but he'll whine for you to let him out if he has to go. It might take a while to sleep through the night with no potty breaks, but he'll probably stop barking/whining faster and at least your hubs could sleep in the bed. One to two potty breaks beat sleeping in a lawn chair, I think. Give it a shot. Our pup woke up to potty for a few weeks, but stopped crying after a few nights.

·
Registered
874 Posts
hey OP -- you wanna come to iowa and help me...that's awesome work there with Carma...great job and loved the videos!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Haven't posted in awhile - Ollie is coming up on 9 months now and is 24 inches at the shoulder and last weigh in April was 63lbs. Is that small for a male his age? Doesn't much matter to me, just curious. :)

Well he's no Carma but here goes... We're getting ready to start our third OB class, this one at my local GSD club and is taught by a husband and wife who run an IPO club nearby. This is an ongoing class(not the typical 6 week course type) which runs all the way through beginning to advanced, I plan on going every week well indefinitely. :) We are not doing IPO, well at least not ATM... We kind of stumbled into herding and he enjoys it SO much I put any IPO plans on the back burner and may wait to do it with my next dog.

He's had two instinct tests done by two different instructors and we've had one lesson so far. He is a natural and I've never seen him so focused and having such a good time as when he's in a corral with sheep. He's got great instinct already at 8 months to keep the livestock together, is super responsive to the stick and my instructor told me he'd be ready to start beginner trials within the year. Herding is a great sport which requires quite a bit more work and thinking power for me and my dog then I ever imagined but its why I'm falling in love with the sport even more... It requires such great teamwork and nothing quite like seeing a dog out in a field doing what it was originally bred to do. He's got some amazing herding dogs on his dams side including the first GSD in the US to win an all breed herding trial so I can't wait to see how far we can go! We are starting with sheep but eventually may also train with cattle.

Our current issues - well he's going through a bit of an adolescent fear reactive stage towards dogs when on lead but we are working through it and at the herding seminar we recently attended he didn't bark not once. As soon as he saw the sheep I think he knew he was there to work! So far he doesn't seem super driven to work when we're doing obedience training and I'm struggling to find something to motivate him as food doesn't seem to be doing it, he seems to prefer tug so I've been focusing on that trying different toys. I recently ordered a new tug and ball on a string from Leerburg to try, wish me luck. :) I still can't walk him on a flat collar in public, that has been our biggest struggle - he is a very head strong little independent thinker which I mostly attribute to his age and the fact that he still has cojenes. We will get there all in good time, he has been an amazingly fun puppy to raise and has the most solid temperament of any dog I've ever had... Nothing phases this little brat. :D

Some recent pics

Self stack by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-05-16 03:04:15) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Touch pad work by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Totally zonked after his day at the herding seminar

Untitled (2013-05-18 04:13:29) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-05-19 10:16:48) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Another video! My camera was lost for a little while. :eek:

We are progressing to using the reward under the armpit and so far, it looks good. It's crazy to think that she'll be six months in a little over a week and it's so nice to start seeing a glimpse into the bigger picture. All the little foundation type things that we've worked on for so long are really coming into play. I absolutely love her turns and rear end awareness.

Her tracking is coming along nicely as well. We are doing three linked scent pads with two serpentine legs in between, up to about a little over a hundred paces. She drags me to the scent pad like a lunatic, so we'll have to work on that in the long run. Otherwise, I love her intensity and pace.

6/11/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

6/11/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Very nice job! You guys are doing fantastic!

I have backed off with Recon a lot! He is maturing so slow and it's killing me! He isn't mentally capable of much yet. Plus, he's huge(over 60lbs at 21 weeks) and is having a hard time controlling his body still. I never had issues like this with my females. Recon is my first male and WOW what a difference.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Very nice job! You guys are doing fantastic!

I have backed off with Recon a lot! He is maturing so slow and it's killing me! He isn't mentally capable of much yet. Plus, he's huge(over 60lbs at 21 weeks) and is having a hard time controlling his body still. I never had issues like this with my females. Recon is my first male and WOW what a difference.
Holy cow, he's huge!!! Carma hasn't even broken 40lbs yet! I've got to see some pictures of the man.

I feel like boys are much goofier for a longer time. Carma is my first female and she is much more physically and mentally mature for 24 weeks than Aiden was at 10 months lol.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
We introduced Recon to blinds this weekend. He's running them like a pro! Well okay more like a puppy who's learning but he's doing great! He was blowing me off during obedience yesterday and today, so he's back to working for his meals. Things coming along slowly but surely.

GatorDog- I will try and get some pictures soon. My GF was going to yesterday while we were running blinds but she forgot:(.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
We introduced Recon to blinds this weekend. He's running them like a pro! Well okay more like a puppy who's learning but he's doing great! He was blowing me off during obedience yesterday and today, so he's back to working for his meals. Things coming along slowly but surely.

GatorDog- I will try and get some pictures soon. My GF was going to yesterday while we were running blinds but she forgot:(.
Awesome! I introduced Carma to them a little bit. How do you train your puppies to run them?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Awesome! I introduced Carma to them a little bit. How do you train your puppies to run them?

I had someone holding Recon close to one side of the blind while I teased him with his favorite toy. Then I ran to/around the blind and dropped the toy in front of the blind. Then I quickly ran back to Recon and held my arm out and gave the command. Then I ran with him to get his toy and around the blind then big play on the other side. I did this a couple times then ran him towards the blind and I ducked around meeting him on the other side and big play. Is this making sense? I don't feel like I'm explaining it to well. I will get video for you. I'm going to practice with a trashcan at my house.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I had someone holding Recon close to one side of the blind while I teased him with his favorite toy. Then I ran to/around the blind and dropped the toy in front of the blind. Then I quickly ran back to Recon and held my arm out and gave the command. Then I ran with him to get his toy and around the blind then big play on the other side. I did this a couple times then ran him towards the blind and I ducked around meeting him on the other side and big play. Is this making sense? I don't feel like I'm explaining it to well. I will get video for you. I'm going to practice with a trashcan at my house.
Yeah I think I get what you're saying. Video would be awesome though!! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just stumbled on this thread as my pup just turn 12 wks this week and bumping around the site for motivation/encouragement/inspiration. Sadly enough I think this journal makes me feel like the worst kid in class, so far behind.

Carma looks great, like the head of the class. Renco, dang...what a beef cake! My Lil guy is 25 lbs and has been going to private lessons since 8 wks at local SCH field. This is my first GSD and it is a little getting use to. My trainer is forcing the hand and requesting that I be more interesting and engaging with my boy so I really need to work on it. So far he has been very good but gets bored of me quickly and I thought it was a puppy thing until I see Carma's old videos. Sadnesss, I need to work harder.

Please pray for me! Keep up this journal for it is very inspiring to say the least.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts