German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Natalie- Nice job! A couple things I would do different. On the downs, I would reward in the position. Not release him right away to the reward. Not yet anyway. He is slow because he is unsure of what you're asking him. I also start out by rewarding the position because I don't want the dog anticipating the release. That way I will have a reliable down stay for later. On his stand, I would bring his rear end up instead of luring forward. That way he can stay in a heel position when given the command. Again, really nice job! That's just how I would do it. Good job on your excitement and staying engaged.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback!

Natalie- Nice job! A couple things I would do different. On the downs, I would reward in the position. Not release him right away to the reward. Not yet anyway. He is slow because he is unsure of what you're asking him. I also start out by rewarding the position because I don't want the dog anticipating the release. That way I will have a reliable down stay for later.
I watched the leerburg video, 'Training your dogs with markers' which I really enjoyed. In the movie they teach to have the dog moving to get the rewards, says that keeps them more excited and engaged. Also taught to teach that the word yes is like the clicker, it takes a mental picture for the dog that what they were doing when you said yes was correct- also teaches yes as a release word, teaches to use good as a duration word.

So knowing that should I just not say yes, say good good, yes then reward or different?

On his stand, I would bring his rear end up instead of luring forward. That way he can stay in a heel position when given the command.
How do you bring up the rear without the forward movement? They showed me what you saw in puppy class last week, we've only been doing stand since then. I haven't really taught stand before. . .

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback!

I watched the leerburg video, 'Training your dogs with markers' which I really enjoyed. In the movie they teach to have the dog moving to get the rewards, says that keeps them more excited and engaged. Also taught to teach that the word yes is like the clicker, it takes a mental picture for the dog that what they were doing when you said yes was correct- also teaches yes as a release word, teaches to use good as a duration word.

So knowing that should I just not say yes, say good good, yes then reward or different?

How do you bring up the rear without the forward movement? They showed me what you saw in puppy class last week, we've only been doing stand since then. I haven't really taught stand before. . .

I'm going to attempt to describe how I do it without sounding like a....

So for the down, I always do it in motion. So while luring the puppy forward, I will apply slight pressure on the nose and the puppy "folds" into the down. I like this better then them dropping but then crawling elbows forward. Once in the down I praise (yes/good) and reward the behavior. Then I release (okay) into big excitement keeping the puppy engaged. As the puppy gets better, I make it hold the position longer and longer. As the puppy gets older I will introduce speed by using a tug/ball on rope and make it a game working the dog in a higher state of drive.

For the stand I will either use my hand foot or leash to bring the rear of the dog up. Front paws don't move at all. Once dog is standing I will lure head straight and push slightly on the shoulders a couple times (creating an opposition reflex). Reward behavior and or release into excitement.

I hope this makes sense. I will try and get some videos with recon today. I am going very slow with him and haven't really introduced words yet (I'm going the let him be a wild beast until around 1 route with him). Just remember there are a million ways to train this stuff so find a method you like and ignore the rest of us:D.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Blaze is looking so good! I love reading about how everyone else is doing :)

Things have really been settling down for us. The two dogs are getting along much better, and I like to sit out on the back patio in the mornings and let them do their morning sniffing :) Roxi is learning super fast! She's nailing sit and down and we're starting watch me and some lured heeling. None of it's on command yet, as I'm just starting to get the hang of the more active training style and want to make sure my timing is right. I want to introduce stand, but I'm not sure how to do it. The way I learned is how Blaze is doing it, but I'd rather have her front feet stay in place like Mycobraracr was talking about (I hope you'll post a video!).

As far as socialization, she went to the vet on Monday (not super exciting, but she did meet new people!). On Tuesday a bunch of my friends were having a trivia night, so I took her to meet everyone. She's super great about being calm and relaxed when she's held which I wasn't really expecting. Then today we went and hung around outside of the neighborhood amenity center cause I was trying to introduce her to some kids. A couple kids did come pet her, but she also saw a man with a leaf blower and a lady with a stroller :D

Anyway I'm trying to take her somewhere new most days, but I'm not sure if I should be trying to train/keep her attention or just let her explore? She's really pretty focused on me at home (not all the time cause she seems to be pretty bold and independent), but is (obviously) less so when we're out and about. How much should I be trying to keep her attention and how much should I let her learn and experience new things somewhat on her own?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well I suck at taking video now that we're outside, but I promise I'll get one this weekend. The weather has been pretty great for upstate NY, so we've been training outside as much as possible. Still doing the same type of stuff. Introduced the balance ball and "back up", both commands coming along great. We also started doing some puppy scent pads in tracking and she took to it really well.

I can't believe how big she is getting. :( 14 weeks already

4/4/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I tried making a quick video in my living room last night. The problem is, it looked like a quick video in my living room haha. It doesn't really show what I was trying to explain. It was kinda dark and I have dark furniture with a black puppy so you can barely see him. Sorry! I will try again today perhaps.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got a new video made over the last week or so. Carma just started doing obedience on our field now that the snow has melted, so we have a whole new set of distractions to work through. Her legs also grew like crazy recently so her coordination is completely off, lol. She reminds me of a baby llama.

Carma vom Oz Haus - YouTube

4/6/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

4/5/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Recon is a stunner! Look at that bone and love his black color! So glad you posted pictures, you two look great!!

No suggestions from me on the turning on the touch pad, still trying to think of what I can use for a touch pad!

Blaze and I have been working on less luring and more proper positioning, like standing without moving the front legs like you mentioned. Also have him more forward on his 'heel' so he is more in line with my leg. Working on watch from heel position too and he's got shake on command.

One question on the down position- I was watching where Michael Ellis teaches to keep the shoulder in the same plane where you do the positions basically only moving the rear. I taught Blaze differently not knowing what I wanted, where he crawls forward for his down. What type of down do you train?

Meeting a working dog group in my area soon and am really looking forward to that!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Recon is a stunner! Look at that bone and love his black color! So glad you posted pictures, you two look great!!

One question on the down position- I was watching where Michael Ellis teaches to keep the shoulder in the same plane where you do the positions basically only moving the rear. I taught Blaze differently not knowing what I wanted, where he crawls forward for his down. What type of down do you train? QUOTE]

Thanks!

I train the down while the puppy is moving then with a treat I put slight pressure on the puppies nose causing the puppy to drop his front first followed by the rear. The pressure on the nose is very gentle and in a back and slight down motion. Here is a video of my GF working Heidi. This is the end result. Heidi down out of motion - YouTube

Nothing really new on Recon. Working on a lot of the same things. I did start teaching a send out. Other than that still trucking along. He is doing great! He has already out grown his puppy crate and is in a big boy crate. The last couple days have been cool and his energy level has been very high. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thanks! He is huge! I like smaller dogs so go figure I would end up with the big one :D

I'm having trouble getting to turn on the touch pad. He gets on it easy and does turn a little but... I'm thinking I'm doing it wrong. Any suggestions?
I had to get a handful of treats and let her eat out of my hand while I took my other hand to push her butt to the side because regular luring wasn't working. So I move my hand to the right while my dogs eating and push her butt in the right direction too. After a minute or two she started understanding. Reward for seriously like one or two steps in the turn though until they understand

I didnt start turn until my dog realized that her paws need to stay on the touch object to get food, she was just trying to walk off of it at first\

Also, mine hates when I lure with my hand, if I hold the treats by my belly and use my body (I walk in a circle facing her) she turns to stare at me, but if I move my hand and try to get it that way she just tries to eat them lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have been catching up on this stuff. My blog is stitchedinthyme.blogspot.com. I usually post our hiking pics there, but now that we've started agility foundations, I'll be taking some shots of that too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Puppy barking at night!!!! HELP!!!!

My husband and I just bought a 10 week old german shepherd, had him for two nights and he barks like crazy!!!!! We keep him in a wire kennel, he can see through, no bottom, no top...we keep it in the garage. We try to keep him up late 11 pm ish so that he will be tired. The first night he was barking like we were killing him, the second night we put a bark collar on him, and he barked less, but still alot about every two hours. But my husband eventually gives in and sleeps in a lawn chair next to his kennel and he sleeps just fine.

Is it separation anxiety? do you think it is a good Idea to keep using the bark collar at night?

Once he wakes up, in the morning we bring him inside and he is with us the entire day, at home or outside playing with kids.... any suggestions?

·
Registered
290 Posts
My husband and I just bought a 10 week old german shepherd, had him for two nights and he barks like crazy!!!!! We keep him in a wire kennel, he can see through, no bottom, no top...we keep it in the garage. We try to keep him up late 11 pm ish so that he will be tired. The first night he was barking like we were killing him, the second night we put a bark collar on him, and he barked less, but still alot about every two hours. But my husband eventually gives in and sleeps in a lawn chair next to his kennel and he sleeps just fine.

Is it separation anxiety? do you think it is a good Idea to keep using the bark collar at night?

Once he wakes up, in the morning we bring him inside and he is with us the entire day, at home or outside playing with kids.... any suggestions?
He's just not used to sleeping alone. Can you crate him in the bedroom? I think (esp since you said he sleeps fine when your hubs is next to him) that if he was in your room, he'd sleep better, bark less and your husband would sleep better...I can't imagine a lawn chair is comfortable.

It's not seperation anxiety. He just wants to be with the pack. I'd take off the bark collar for sure. Why can't you bring him in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We haven't brought him in because of the potty issue. Maybe if we got an enclosed crate, he would do better with the not going to the bathroom. Or maybe we could do potty training pads?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts