German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi guys!

we have not long recently got our little menace, and i am well aware of the history of GSD;s joints etc, and the breeder we bought from gave us a very good pack filled with information and history. my question i guess is, we stay out in the country, and we have 3 sets of steps round the property stepping down off our veranda, and also throughout the house we have wooden floors. we are doing everything we can to ensure that he does not jump down off the steps, we help him down and also try and make sure due to having wooden floors that he isnt slipping around all over the place when he is playing, but as we are seeing as he is getting older (nearly 10 weeks now) that its becoming harder to keep an eye on him all the time, and puppies will be puppies - i just want to know that if on the odd occasion he slips our eye line and wants to jump down the stairs himself and carry on playing how much potential damage might it cause in future? would he have to be jumping down on a constant basis to cause serious damage in the future?

any advice would be great

thanks in advance, graham

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Just that fact you are aware and paying attention to minimize the impact should make a difference. Generally our pups are pretty tough.

If you are particularly concerned about any steps/stairs you may want to do the same as with small children. Get those baby gates up so you know the only time they will be taken is when you are there to monitor and make sure they are taken safely.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Just that fact you are aware and paying attention to minimize the impact should make a difference. Generally our pups are pretty tough.

If you are particularly concerned about any steps/stairs you may want to do the same as with small children. Get those baby gates up so you know the only time they will be taken is when you are there to monitor and make sure they are taken safely.

Good luck!
:thumbup:

Common sense is your best friend :) Dogs will be dogs regardless, just take small precautions like the one listed and your dog should hopefully live a long happy healthy uneventful life :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Good luck!
:thumbup:

Common sense is your best friend :) Dogs will be dogs regardless, just take small precautions like the one listed and your dog should hopefully live a long happy healthy uneventful life :)
thanks guys, like stated common sense and we are trying to keep up with him and assist him up and down, most of the time right now when he is small we are picking him up but i just wanted to know really for peace of mind. thanks for the replies!

graham

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
it only takes one jump to potentially cause damage. crate
the pup when you can't watch him. area rugs with the mat
underneath will help with the slipping. when my dog was step
training i use to stand behind him when he was going up the steps.
when he was going down the steps i stood in front of him (facing him).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it only takes one jump to potentially cause damage. crate
the pup when you can't watch him. area rugs with the mat
underneath will help with the slipping. when my dog was step
training i use to stand behind him when he was going up the steps.
when he was going down the steps i stood in front of him (facing him).
yeah we have been doing that also, think i will go out and buy a few gates to put over our stairs area as well just to be extra cautious! thanks for the reply!

graham

1 - 6 of 6 Posts