German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been reading this forum for awhile and will hopefully get around to making an introductory post soon but we have a few issues i hope you may be able to help us with. Zoey is 15 weeks old and we love her to death but the following are driving my wife and I crazy. We train her every day in sit, down, leave it, come, off, mat, crate; and she is really good unless super excited (or in puppy class :rolleyes2:). She is very food motivated and gets most of her meals via training.

1: Biting
I know that most gsd puppies are landsharky and they are just playing but she is drawing blood multiple times every day. I have read the common posts about what to do and we have tried them all; Yelping doesn't seem to do anything, struggle to leave the room because she just bites the whole way. Have tried taking her to timeout as soon as it happens which does help in the interim but doesn't eliminate it. Is there anything else we can try?

2: On Couch
She is now big enough to jump onto the couch (which she isn't allowed on) and gets quite aggressive and bitey when i take her off and put her in time out. Ive read that they shouldn't be jumping off things at this age so i pick her up everytime, is this correct or should we work on off with treats. Is the aggressiveness alpha issues? and what can we do about it?

3: Walking
We just started taking her for outside walks last week (finally!) and the first half dozen when fine, she was learning to walk nicely beside us and seemed to be enjoying the walks. However the last 4 or 5 she will be fine for between 1-5 mins then decide she really wants to go home. i.e. do everything she can to go the other direction.

One of the walks she hadn't gone toilet beforehand and halfway through got really stressed and didn't want to go anywhere, held on and raced home to go toilet in the yard. So in case of needing to go toilet or being scared (haven't been any notable incidents, just the usual dogs barking through fences) I had been taking her back home, the last couple of times I pushed through it and she was alright again after awhile. Any ideas what might be happening and what we can do? our sanity really needs these walks.

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Your post is typical of the consultations I do for people in their home. These things you mention happen quite often with first time owners of this breed. Truthfully, I would be very reluctant to give you specific advice without seeing the pup and the interaction between you and the pup and the temperament of the pup. I will tell you that these aren't particularly difficult behaviors to fix at this age if you get a knowledgable trainer or behaviorist to instruct YOU and your dog. Usually in my case it only takes one consultation and in a couple weeks people are calling saying things are a whole lot better if not eliminated. But it is important to understand the dynamics between you and the pup....Good Luck.
Sorry, I can't give specific answers, but others may have some insights for you.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I'd agree you should be in puppy classes where you can ask some of these things, but meanwhile -

2: On Couch
She is now big enough to jump onto the couch (which she isn't allowed on) and gets quite aggressive and bitey when i take her off and put her in time out.
Prevention.
Simply do not allow her to get on it. She's leashed - to you- at all times, or she's not in the house, or she's crated.

MIND GAMES - although you need to do a "mini" version of these things - will help.
Remember she is a puppy and so you need abbreviated versions.

Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. We take her to a general puppy class on Thursdays and GSD club on Sundays which are both good for socialization but I'm not that sure about the quality of trainers. I'll have a look round for a private trainer for an assessment, I'm not sure if there are very many in NZ though.

Thanks for the link, a good read. We are doing all of that except the house line and tying her to us. Maybe we will need to try that.

Cheers,
Phil

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think your dog is doing what most pups do. i can tell you
what i did with my pup who did the same things as your pup.

your pup is driving you crazy. i didn't let having a pup
do what pups do drive me crazy. i figured whatever the pup
is doing will change with age, training, socializing and supervision.

you're teaching sit, down, leave it, off, mat and crate everyday.
i taught one thing at a time bascially.

biting: when my pup nipped i used that time to teach
"no biting". when my pup nipped i simply pulled him
off of me and said "no biting". with time he learned not
to nip.

couch: my pup wasn't allowed on the furniture untill
i had some control over him. figure out a command
when you want the pup off the sofa. when the pup jumps
on the sofa take him off the sofa usuing your command
for off the sofa.

walking: when my pup was leashed i kept him
on my left side. i gave him plenty of free leash time.
i kept him on my left side because i was setting him up
to learn how to heel.

take command of your pup. taking command doesn't mean
doing anything harsh. enroll in a puppy or find a private
trainer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts