German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after her booster shots last friday, we went to obedience school classes, where she was in good spirits and high food drive for learning. The next day I noticed she didn't eat with as much vigor as before (I thought maybe all the treats spoiled her appetite) The following day, she didn't eat any of her breakfast, and when it became supper time, she looked at the food and then at me, without so much as a nibble.

On Monday I called the vet and told her she had been lethargic, not eating, but still drinking water, but seemed disinterested in playing, still wanted to go on our walks, but when we were, she wasn't as energetic as usual. I got off work early and took her into the Vet. He diagnosed her with either Kennel Cough or Distemper. Since I don't know her history (the humane shelter found her as a stray) we can't rule either out. He prescribed her pills to alleviate the cough, and anti-biotics to hopefully help her recover.

I started on the anti-biotics, but she still refuses to eat, and even refused the treats to help her take her meds. I eventually had to open the pill and sandwich the powder in some american cheese (the only thing she seemed somewhat interested in eating). It's been almost 3 full days since she's eaten, 2 days since her last movement. She drinks water, but not as much as before and still pees fine.

How long usually before her appetite returns from the meds? Anything I can do to help this along, or entice her?

Thanks.

She is a 7-9 month old Shepherd mix (7 is what the Vet guessed, 9 is what the humane society) her history is unknown to all of us.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Have you tried offering just canned wet food? Or just plain overboiled white rice and cooked hamburger?

The main issue is making sure she's drinking but she does need to eat as well.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Sorry to hear this, how upsetting.
I know 2 dogs that had kennel cough, it was diagnosed and treated early and the dogs seemed to act fairly normal.
You live in AZ, do you think the heat is an issue too?
I'd try what Shade recommended - canned food, boiled white rice with a protein, either boiled chicken, hamburger or cottage cheese.
Many antibiotics have a side effect of nausea, you can research the meds they gave and check the side effects. Also look into giving a probiotic with the antibiotic.
If she does not eat soon, I'd call the vet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heat isn't an issue, she is being crate trained and I've been running the A/C all day to keep her comfortable. It doesn't get above 80 in the house, and usually set to about 78.

I tried offering her canned wet food, but no interest. I'll try overboiling some rice tonight with some hamburger. Since she was a stray and we don't know her history, she may have been scrounging or fed people food from early on, although she was eating her kibble with just a little bit of wet food added when i brought her home the first two weeks, she won't touch it now.

Hopefully I can entice her with rice and hamburger, without her thinking she's always going to get people food if she starves herself.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
If there were no medical issues then I would allow her to fast for 2 days with no issues, but since there's something medically that could be causing it I would make sure that she's eating. Her body needs all the nutrients it can to get healthy right now

Try the rice with hamburger or chicken first, hopefully that will be enough. Make sure the rice is over boiled (double the cooking time and water required, you want it really mushy). You can spice it up with a little chicken and beef broth added (make sure that its low sodium) to make it even more enticing and also adds liquid and calories to the diet.

Another trick is also canned wet cat food; apparently the smell is almost irresistible to dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried a variety of meals for her. First just some wet canned dogfood, no interest. Next I tried the overboiled rice and cooked hamburger. She wouldn't eat it out of her bowl, but I took a few small scoops with my fingers and she had a few bites from my hand before deciding she was done. I tried just the cooked hamburger, no luck either.

At this point there was no way I could get her to take her anti-biotics, since they ones prescribed came in a gelcap, which is ridiculously difficult to get a dog who won't eat treats or peanut butter (at the this time) to swallow, kept getting stuck on her tongue, chewing it and spitting out all the powder.

I was running out of ideas so I made her a scramble egg, I gave her half and she responded and cleaned her bowl, so I opened the antibiotic gelcap, added it to the remaining scrambled egg, and down she ate it. Silly puppy, you can't outsmart me all the time.

I'm just glad she ate something, a few bites of rice an hamburger and 1 &1/2 scrambled eggs. She's been drinking water, but not as much as before, but seems to be a bit better. Hopefully her appetite and energy will return, but for now, thanks for all the comments and help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts