German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13-14 week old puppy is walking strangely. When walking slowly he twists his back paws then lift them up and then put them forward and repeat this while he walks. I don't know what does it means, is it normal or some sort of problem. If it's a problem then is it supposed to solved some mild medication or it may require special medical attention.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Some puppies have loose joints and tendons which will correct themselves as they get older.Keep an eye on it and in meantime avoiding excessive jumping and long walks on hard surfaces.Walking and romping at his own pace on grass or soft sand is easier on his joints.

Reactions: Pawsed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some puppies have loose joints and tendons which will correct themselves as they get older.Keep an eye on it and in meantime avoiding excessive jumping and long walks on hard surfaces.Walking and romping at his own pace on grass or soft sand is easier on his joints.
Please have a look at this video and tell if it's still ok. 3 new photos by Roshan Raj Singh

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Disclaimer:I'm not a vet! but he does have obviously loose joints and to my untrained eye it's the joints in his thighs.If you have a vet you trust,have them take a look and give a professional opinion.Often times this will clear up on it's own.Like I mentioned before,don't stress the joints with over enthusiastic exercise.And calcium supplements are a bad idea usually.It makes their bones grow too fast and can make things worse.I'm assuming he's eating a balanced dog food.
This is just my opinion and best guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Did you ever get an answer to this? Or has your dog grown out of / stopped doing it?

Ive looked at your videos and I’m having the exact same thing with my 15 week old show line gsd!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts