German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Charlie (he's 8 weeks) on Saturday even though yesterday was his first full day home. He is doing really well with crate training. He has howled but I just ignored him until he's was quiet. He is also tethered to me when he's not being crated.

The ex pen is another story. I put him into the ex pen this morning when I was making breakfast for my kids and he howled. That wasn't the bad part. He then started to take the bottom of the ex pen and move it. He was yanking it. It's on my vinyl flooring so it does slide. I went over there and say eh eh and turned away but that did not solve the issue. When he finally did calm down I gave him some cooked chicken (my treats that I ordered haven't shipped yet) and praised him for being good. He did eventually fall asleep but again around supper time he did the same thing again. I swear he almost pulled the darn thing down. What can I do in this situation? He has plenty of toys, I put a kong in there with frozen peanut butter. I want to nip this in the bud before he gets even bigger.

Oh I posted some pics on the pictures, pictures page. Here is one now.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would keep redirecting him to chew on his toys. When he chews on his toys give him a treat. He might see this as if he chews on what he's suppose to, he'll be rewarded :)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Bitter apple. Give him a spritz in the mouth each time you catch him chewing on the sides.

If he tries to climb it, correct him. He shouldn't be in the pen when you leave anyway (crated instead) so climbing out while you're gone shouldn't be an issue.

Dante learned very fast not to even jump on the sides of the pen.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
What the heck is an ex pen?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
What the heck is an ex pen?
One of those plastic or metal pens that you can set up inside or outside the house. They're usually only 2 or 3 feet tall with a couple of square feet inside the pen. Bigger than a crate, but still a confined area where puppy can't get into anything. Because of their size they're only used with small dogs and puppies.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
One of those plastic or metal pens that you can set up inside or outside the house. They're usually only 2 or 3 feet tall with a couple of square feet inside the pen. Bigger than a crate, but still a confined area where puppy can't get into anything. Because of their size they're only used with small dogs and puppies.
Thanks

When the puppy gets out does that make him an ex con?
:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip on the bitter apple spray. I'll try that. He did a little better today of course he was very tired when he went into and just slept.

I'll let you know if the bitter apple works. Any other tips?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
It sounds like he is a very bad puppy therefore you should send him to me:))

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to post back that the bitter apple spray worked. He hasn't tried to bite or yank on it at all. I put an everlasting ball in there with liver biscotti treats inside and try to make it a positive experience for him too. I have even caught him go into willingly and sit there before he came back out. So progress!! Crate is going awesome too. With my two labs I never crated them or even knew what an ex pen was. What a disaster that was. This is definitlely the way to go. Thank you!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts