German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been over 3 weeks. The vet said she had kennel cough at our last appointment. (After many many visits where we thought it could be allergies, or just a cold). She’s still sick! Now it’s turned into a hacking cough with vomiting but no vomit. He didn’t believe us when I said she was extremely lethargic because she got excited briefly at the vet because her favorite vet tech was there. Our regular vet is unfortunately out of town.

She’s 6 months. Fully vaccinated. She has what seemed to be a cold for the first few weeks. No coughing for the first 2.5 weeks.. and five days ago, she started coughing until she would gag. They gave us cough medicine and said to continue with the antibiotic. But they said wait it out.

And today, she didn’t want to drink water. At all. I’m buying chicken broth right now and she’s eating ice cubes at least!

What should I do? ? It’s breaking my heart because I know she’s uncomfortable. She was crying for ages and wanted me to fix it but I obviously couldn’t instantly heal her. The substitute vet is so unconcerned but I know my dog and she’s very lethargic.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Go to a different vet and get a 2nd opinion...even a 3rd or 4th if you can. I've gotten other opinions when my original vet couldn't figure it out. My experience...not every vet knows everything.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have they x-rayed her chest?
they haven’t.. should they? The second vet seemed unconcerned. I know a third one in the area I can try to see.

I’m unsure about the canine flu. She doesn’t want to drink chicken broth or pedialyte so she’s existing off ice cubes.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Personally I would go to an emergency vet if you have one local. Lack of appetite, lethargy and now not wanting to drink is a medical emergency in my book. Puppies dehydrate quickly and it can be life threatening. I would insist on chest and throat xrays.
Is your pup running a fever? Check the gums...are they pale? Very pale, pale, white, light grey gums are a sign of health emergency.
Pups find and eat all sorts of things. Is it possible there is a foreign object stuck in her throat causing the cough?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Personally I would go to an emergency vet if you have one local. Lack of appetite, lethargy and now not wanting to drink is a medical emergency in my book. Puppies dehydrate quickly and it can be life threatening. I would insist on chest and throat xrays.
Is your pup running a fever? Check the gums...are they pale? Very pale, pale, white, light grey gums are a sign of health emergency.
Pups find and eat all sorts of things. Is it possible there is a foreign object stuck in her throat causing the cough?
She’s still eating significantly! That’s why the several vets I’ve talked to are so unconcerned. But she’s super lethargic and she usually drinks so much water that I’m refilling bowls throughout the day. And now she doesn’t want broth or pedialyte. Just ice cubes. Right now she’s chewing a bone.
Her gums also look normal.

I’m a paranoid dog mom so I’ve taken her to two vets several times in the last 2.5 weeks and they both weren’t concerned. I mean her coughing has subsided ever so slightly. But she’s also on cough medication and an antibiotic now so it might just be that.

Should I go tomorrow and insist on X-rays?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I’m also a paranoid pet owner so I’ve seen 2 vets so far and talked with 3 vet techs independent of the offices around here.. ?

Can kennel cough start as a cold where she’s sneezing all the time and then go to kennel cough? She hasn’t pooped since yesterday as well. She’s not running around though and she was never super heavy in that department.

Update: she just drank half a bowl of water!!! Ironically ignored the chicken broth and Pedialyte. She’s had the cough for 5 days now though.. is that normal? Should I just wait it out?

·
Registered
875 Posts
OP--what have the two vets said about your dog?---what is their diagnosis ?? have they done blood work or x-rays (as already mentioned)....have any meds been prescribed......if the vets are simply patting your dog and you on the head saying it will be OK...then sending you both home.....and you're sure something is in fact wrong and not just you being paranoid...then I'd get a 3rd--4th or 5th opinion

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I can't remember exactly how old Nyx was when she got an upper respiratory infection, a.k.a. kennel cough, but it started with her just being a bit lethargic and not excited about eating much. For her those symptoms rapidly, a couple days tops, progressed to the gagging cough where she'd spit up some white bile-like substance. Of course this happened on a weekend evening, regular vet does was closed, so off to the emergency vet we went at 8pm! They examined her and diagnosed URI, but said that as long as she wasn't running a fever to just let the virus run its course. No medication, no cough suppressant, no nothing! To me the cough and lethargy seemed to last forever, but it was at least 6-7 days before she started to really perk up again.

OP, I know it's hard to see your dog so miserable, but if the vet checked her temperature and listened to her lungs and diagnosed Kennel cough, it probably IS! You can question their diagnosis and get 2nd and 3rd opinions and chest x-rays, but at least according to the vet I saw for my dog, as long as they're not running a fever along with the cough, no further intervention is required. Do you take her temperature at home? Again, for my dog the symptoms and cough and lethargy got worse before it got better, but the vet said to expect that as the normal course of the virus. I hope she gets well soon!

ETA: Your dog may have had a cold, and caught kennel cough due to her weakened immune system from the cold! It doesn't really change the diagnosis or treatment...

Reactions: Shane'sDad

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP--what have the two vets said about your dog?---what is their diagnosis ?? have they done blood work or x-rays (as already mentioned)....have any meds been prescribed......if the vets are simply patting your dog and you on the head saying it will be OK...then sending you both home.....and you're sure something is in fact wrong and not just you being paranoid...then I'd get a 3rd--4th or 5th opinion
They’ve done no xrays or blood work. They have prescribed medication. They say kennel cough and there’s nothing we can do besides wait it out. But they did give us antibiotics, an anti nausea for a few days, and cough medication.

I can't remember exactly how old Nyx was when she got an upper respiratory infection, a.k.a. kennel cough, but it started with her just being a bit lethargic and not excited about eating much. For her those symptoms rapidly, a couple days tops, progressed to the gagging cough where she'd spit up some white bile-like substance. Of course this happened on a weekend evening, regular vet does was closed, so off to the emergency vet we went at 8pm! They examined her and diagnosed URI, but said that as long as she wasn't running a fever to just let the virus run its course. No medication, no cough suppressant, no nothing! To me the cough and lethargy seemed to last forever, but it was at least 6-7 days before she started to really perk up again.

OP, I know it's hard to see your dog so miserable, but if the vet checked her temperature and listened to her lungs and diagnosed Kennel cough, it probably IS! You can question their diagnosis and get 2nd and 3rd opinions and chest x-rays, but at least according to the vet I saw for my dog, as long as they're not running a fever along with the cough, no further intervention is required. Do you take her temperature at home? Again, for my dog the symptoms and cough and lethargy got worse before it got better, but the vet said to expect that as the normal course of the virus. I hope she gets well soon!

ETA: Your dog may have had a cold, and caught kennel cough due to her weakened immune system from the cold! It doesn't really change the diagnosis or treatment...
Yes, he listened to her lungs and checked her heart and took her temp. he seemed unconcerned. I guess I should just go with that diagnosis. ? Thank you! Ugh, I would rather have the flu myself than watch my dog have it. It’s been 3 weeks and now the cough for the last 5 is just awful.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I just read online that kennel cough may take 3 weeks or longer to resolve itself...I think I'd likely be concerned/worried like you too at this point because of the time factor....has she been on the antibiotics for 3 weeks or just recently ?.....I tried to see if I could find anything about the cough actually getting worse before it got better and couldn't find anything....over the years I've seen a lot of different illness- sickness but thankfully never bordatella.in any of my own....years ago I had a co-worker whose Lab caught it- after a vacation boarding... for some reason I thought his girl was back to normal in a little under 2 weeks....hopefully your girl will turn the corner quickly and you'll be posting back with good news.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I just read online that kennel cough may take 3 weeks or longer to resolve itself...I think I'd likely be concerned/worried like you too at this point because of the time factor....has she been on the antibiotics for 3 weeks or just recently ?.....I tried to see if I could find anything about the cough actually getting worse before it got better and couldn't find anything....over the years I've seen a lot of different illness- sickness but thankfully never bordatella.in any of my own....years ago I had a co-worker whose Lab caught it- after a vacation boarding... for some reason I thought his girl was back to normal in a little under 2 weeks....hopefully your girl will turn the corner quickly and you'll be posting back with good news.
I think a huge factor in whether it gets worse before it gets better is how early you get them in to see the vet! For me, it was within hours of her cough really starting - it sounded awful! The vet did say if symptoms got dramatically worse to bring her back in though, fever or no, so err on the side of caution as it can morph into pneumonia!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! I hope so as well. She has been on the antibiotics for about 9 days for the cold. The cough started 5 days ago.. She’s not on the best antibiotic for kennel cough but she was already on it for the cold so they said we should stick with that.
I think a huge factor in whether it gets worse before it gets better is how early you get them in to see the vet! For me, it was within hours of her cough really starting - it sounded awful! The vet did say if symptoms got dramatically worse to bring her back in though, fever or no, so err on the side of caution as it can morph into pneumonia!
I took her in right when the food started, and then again when it lingered, and same day when the cough started. It does seem drastically better today though! I’m still concerned but she’s not coughing as much. And it’s not as dramatic as a cough as it was.. I’m hoping this means she is turning the corner. ?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I hope your pup is feeling better soon. Hopefully you are correct and she is turning the corner. It's tough when they don't feel well. Hang in there. Prayers for better days ahead.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope your pup is feeling better soon. Hopefully you are correct and she is turning the corner. It's tough when they don't feel well. Hang in there. Prayers for better days ahead.
thank you so much! <3 It seems over the last few hours things are significantly better! She got up to chase the cats a few times (still working on that...), are a big breakfast, and hasn’t been coughing at all now!!!! Still going to give her ice cubes, broth and rest for the foreseeable future though. Don’t want to take any risks.

Her resting below!

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: it seems as if today is much much better! Also, I highly recommend if anyone ever has trouble getting their pup to eat or drink, just suggest food and water every hour. I was giving her onion free broth, ice, pedialyte and tempting food.. nothing was working well. But I started suggesting food and water every hour and since she wanted to please me, it upped her intake immensely!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Update: it seems as if today is much much better! Also, I highly recommend if anyone ever has trouble getting their pup to eat or drink, just suggest food and water every hour. I was giving her onion free broth, ice, pedialyte and tempting food.. nothing was working well. But I started suggesting food and water every hour and since she wanted to please me, it upped her intake immensely!
By suggest, do you mean offer? I'm a little confused with your wording, sorry.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By suggest, do you mean offer? I'm a little confused with your wording, sorry.
Like every 45-60 minutes on a timer, bringing the water to her and begging her to drink. ?? Unfortunately back at the vet today because she’s lost so much weight and I insisted they look at her again. Can’t wait for my regular vet to be back in town.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I felt something was off.. took her to the vet again and she has an pneumonia. ? She’s on medication but our vet was just like, we’ll see how she responds. Does anyone know how serious this is for a six month old? She’s pretty hard. 55 pounds and 23 inches

1 - 20 of 40 Posts