German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a GDS puppy (female). Now she's 9 weeks old. The puppy sleep by the foot of my friend on the floor and will only be with my friend. My friend didn't do with the puppy anything. The whole day I have nothing from the puppy. Only feeding and cleaning the floor.
I take the puppy from him and place on the dogs pilow near me. The puppy is only a few minutes with me. Is not interested.

Will this be the whole life with this behaviour?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Very common and no, it can change just as fast as a 9 week old does in everything else.
Note that they breed is not normally overly cuddly but will be your best friend in 100 other ways.

If your the one to feed, train, engage, she'll bond to you, don't force it

·
Registered
29 Posts
What @WNGD said is 100% true. My pups will follow me around all day and love being close to me but will not cuddle or like to be held for more than a few seconds. They show a lot of love in their own ways and the more time you put into training and doing fun stuff (tug of war, walking, going for a drive) they will start to bond pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Work on fun and engagement for a few weeks. She may still love your room mate but you'll be the partner

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is that we two live in a 1 room appartment. So the puppy come only to me for feding and then is the whole day to my friend. The puppy choose him.,

Should I fence the puppy that she is in my space?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Don't fence the dog into you, that will accomplish nothing.
Look up engagement, spend time doing nothing, spend time training, groom, continue to feed and be the best thing in your pup's life. Be glad your female likes the roommate and stop worrying about who a 9 week old dog likes best, they don't think that way.

GSD are often and not normally cuddly. Some will be and many won't. If a cuddler is important to you for some reason, build engagement now. But you also should have considered a different breed for better odds.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
A 9 week old is different than an older puppy but you can make yourself more interesting to her at any age. Your roommate might have a more dynamic way of interacting with the puppy. Pay attention to tone of voice, how much your roommate moves, if they move quickly, even how someone smells can affect interactions. You don’t want to be “on” all the time but occasionally so the puppy notices you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My GSD is not cuddly except before bedtime and in the car. She's 15 months now and just started to like a little cuddling. She actually pulls away from me sometimes when I try to pet her esp when we are playing with the ball.

But we play together, hang out, I brush her. So she definitely cares about me because she's always ready to play and always watching me.

Of course, this did not come immediately when I first got her at 11 weeks. My advice is to make a training plan and to stick to it, and add some play to the daily routine. And just keep working. It will pay off. You can search for "engagement" in this forum and maybe teach your puppy some tricks. Reward each time like what she did is amazing.

Juno is 15 months. Today she was offleash in a park with another dog and dozens of snowmobilers and she did not care about them at all. She wanted to play fetch with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My situation is still the same. The dog wants only him. And when you life in a 1 room appartment when both are working from home you cant change nothing. Maby he goes for an hour from home.
He is pushing the dog away..and saying no but the puppy goes still to him. He cant change nothing. He is very angry to the dog but the dog wants him..We cant change the situation.

·
Super Moderator
5,158 Posts
My situation is still the same. The dog wants only him. And when you life in a 1 room appartment when both are working from home you cant change nothing. Maby he goes for an hour from home.
He is pushing the dog away..and saying no but the puppy goes still to him. He cant change nothing. He is very angry to the dog but the dog wants him..We cant change the situation.
You can change the situation. It's only been 2 days.

What fun activities do you participate in with the dog? How much time did you spend outside having fun on an adventure yesterday?

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I'll echo what David said. This will take some time -- more than just a couple of days. As the weeks pass and you spend lots of fun and reassuring times with the puppy, she'll begin to trust you and want to only be with you. I'd suggest that you not encourage your friend to be angry with her for that reason. It'll only confuse her and make her more likely to grow up as a timid dog rather than a strong, confident one.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
It's a ONE ROOM apartment, not a one bedroom. In the first few days, you are all together as one pack, it will take awhile for the pup to figure out who is his leader is.

Just be more fun, engage with the pup, feed, groom, play games, spend time, adventure outside together. In a one room apartment, he'll seek out someone else for variety but don't stress over who you think he "likes" more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts