German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
great job!!! I want to name my puppy Ike when I get him, well wanted to... there was a hurricane in texas named Ike so my GF doesnt like it for that reason haha

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Wow I saw that on the clip you posted the other day! How do you teach that?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
great job VERY FLASHY!!!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks everyone :)

Bianca, first the pup has to understand that heel means stick by my left leg, no matter where I am. A left turn is basically a back step (heeling backward) except instead of going straight back, you turn into the dog and the dog will naturally turn to get out of the way, while keeping heel position.

I would say 95% of the speed comes from Ike himself. He is just a very intense, a very motivated pup. I taught the same thing to my older dog and while he can do it, his turn is sloooowwwww. But Ike will do these exercises like his butt is on fire :D, even though as you can see I am only rewarding him a doggie treat and not some high value reward like a ball. He is just crazy like that.

It has its good and bad. Good when we are out training; bad when I just want to chill out and watch a movie and he is sitting here staring at me wanting to train LOL. I am currently trying to teach him to "chill" ... except you have to make it into work for him, i.e . give it to him as a command haha... his OFF switch is not very functional at the moment.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Thank you Jason! You are an inspiration to me. I was so excited by the 'doodling' clip I showed it to my DH...he is not terribly interested in all things dog like me but I couldn't restrain myself this one time LOL. You don't use a clicker do you? Just a key word? You don't by chance happen to live in Australia and want to train ME how to train my Molly do you :laugh:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, Texas ... kind of like Australia :)

I use the marker words but they function in the same way as a clicker. I follow Michael Ellis's method and use basically three words to train Ike:

"Yes" = you did the exercise right + here's your reward + exercise is finished (his release).
"Good" = you are doing the exercise right + keep doing it + a reward is coming soon
"No" = you did it wrong + no reward + exercise is finished

Everything is done in a positive way, with motivation.

This site has tons of Ellis's videos. They are really great. Michael is a fantastic teacher and I like his method/system a lot.

Leerburg Streaming Video

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Darn it!!! Close but no cigar! Thank you so much for the info and link...am going to have a wee look see! Thank you :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts