German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we need to get his down faster and fade out the hand signal. But at least he finally learning something other than eating food :D

Good boy, Ike!

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I am more impressed with his fuss!! Good boy Ike and Jason, you are a natural!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Sarah, I taught the stand using Michael Ellis's method. Move hand towards the dog, slightly under the chin (I think Ellis refers it somewhere as "punching the dog in the throat" LOL), keep pushing until the dog kicks back into a stand and then mark/release. Once Ike was reliably kicking back into a stand, I added the command right before I "punched" him. After awhile of doing that he started to anticipate my hand movement when he hears the command.

Here is a short clip of Ellis teaching the stand.
http://www.youtube.com/user/oberdot#p/f/4/jvtVU_K3-Ho

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Pretty snappy puppy on those behaviors!! Looking good!!

Hogan used to know all those..turned 9 months old and looks at me like "I see your lips moving but I don't understand a word you are saying?"

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yup, Stark just forgot what "platz" meant.... :headbang:

And he just barked at some lady who was already nervous of him in the elevator.. but of course he had the courtesy to wait until she was stepping off onto her floor.... :help: :nono:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Pretty snappy puppy on those behaviors!! Looking good!!

Hogan used to know all those..turned 9 months old and looks at me like "I see your lips moving but I don't understand a word you are saying?"
Try German... like the guy down the street said to me the other day. "You know its a German Shepherd and there's a reason it's German. They understand German better than English." :rolleyes:

Yeah, and I'm a full blooded German. :help:

·
Registered
217 Posts
sweet ... that makes a lot of sense and fits right in with the rest of my training style :D ... All the other 'stand' methods I have been shown were pretty much brute forcing the dog into position, and never seemed to be clear to the dog, (or me lol) as to what I was reinforcing lol ....

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try German... like the guy down the street said to me the other day. "You know its a German Shepherd and there's a reason it's German. They understand German better than English." :rolleyes:

Unsolicited advice = the best! haha

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Nice video. Looks like Ike is moving along great! Bison enjoyed the video as well. He kept staring at the computer and cocking his head and then looking at me like, "I hear all those words I know, but what am I supposed to do?" Then eventually, he barked in disgust and walked away. :)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
That is soooo funny! I just started switching everyone to German tonight!!!

I figured I would mess up the early part... and I did.. so dumping the English and starting over with German. It actually helping, but not sure because it is their native tongue... the Catahoula did better too. Perhaps it is the sharp, guttural sound of the language.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Aus = Out
Platz = down
Setz = sit
Gib laut = Speak/bark (Try this at random, Titon looks at me like I'm alien and actually barks at me without having a clue what I'm asking him).

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I really like the sound of the French commands. But I didn't want to be THAT guy at the SchH club who always has to do everything just a little different ... but assis, daboo, coucher, au pied ... just sounds so cool and I like the fact that the words for the three positions sound nothing alike.

I actually thought about just using English with Ike but then for reason that I no longer remember I taught Dottie in German. So I thought it's better to just keep everything same. I don't want to bring a dog out to training and have to consult a cheat sheet to see which language this dog speaks :)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Look at that flashy little boy! I LOVE his focus, his enthusiastic platz, oh Jason Ike is a doll and doing soooo well! More videos please LOL :wub:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

UGH! I get that ALL the time!
"He speaks german!!"

WHAT!?:eek:

Anyways, Ike is looking wonderful!!! :wub:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
UGH! I get that ALL the time!
"He speaks german!!"

WHAT!?:eek:

Anyways, Ike is looking wonderful!!! :wub:
I should have responded that Titon comes from the Nazi bloodlines and that if he said German one more time, I can't promise he'd have body parts left. But I held my tongue.

So if you own an Irish Setter, do you speak Irish since most of Ireland speaks English? :rolleyes:

Some people... :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts