German Shepherds Forum banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
My family says I spend way too much time with the dogs, but then again, I am the ONLY ONE who feeds, grooms, bathes, exercises, and treats whatever ailments they have and get.

My other dog, the Tibetan Spaniel, required almost nothing. He also required far fewer trips to the vet. In fact, I didn’t really see the vet until that dog turned 15. He lived to 18.5.

GSDs are for those who understand that, as with kids, their needs must be met even when you don’t feel like it. And GSDs have far more needs than other breeds, whether it’s type of food, training, exercise requirements, or health problems.

David says that if his dogs get the zoomies in the late evening, he gets dressed and goes out with them so they can run like lunatics until they’re tired. Definitely not for people who just want to come home and relax. If you work, your GSD is home all day, bored out of his mind, and when you walk in that door, he’s ready to go.
A leisurely stroll while looking at your phone will not suffice. And taking him to the dog park in hopes of draining his energy there will likely end in disaster.

Thinking of buying a second GSD so they can play together and leave you alone?
Nope.
They will BOTH sit outside, looking in, ears up, waiting for your lazy butt to come out and interact with them.

You have to want that GSD more than you want your relaxation time. I cannot count the number of times I’ve longingly looked at that sofa on my way out with the dogs.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
My family says I spend way too much time with the dogs, but then again, I am the ONLY ONE who feeds, grooms, bathes, exercises, and treats whatever ailments they have and get.

My other dog, the Tibetan Spaniel, required almost nothing. He also required far fewer trips to the vet. In fact, I didn’t really see the vet until that dog turned 15. He lived to 18.5.

GSDs are for those who understand that, as with kids, their needs must be met even when you don’t feel like it. David says that if his dogs get the zoomies in the late evening, he gets dressed and goes out with them so they can run like lunatics until they’re tired.

Definitely not for people who just want to come home and relax. If you work, your GSD is home all day, bored out of his mind, and when you walk in that door, he’s ready to go.

A leisurely stroll while looking at your phone will not suffice.
You have to want that GSD more than you want your relaxation time. I cannot count the number of times I’ve longingly looked at that sofa on my way out with the dogs.
I haven't started a day in 30 years without being outside within 3 minutes of waking, half the time I'm in the woods still half asleep :0)

Rain, sleet, shine, freezing cold, ice. Never missed a day. Sick, not feeling like it, not really into it ..... doesn't matter. Then again, it's the best part of my day....

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I haven't started a day in 30 years without being outside within 3 minutes of waking, half the time I'm in the woods still half asleep :0)

Rain, sleet, shine, freezing cold, ice. Never missed a day. Sick, not feeling like it, not really into it ..... doesn't matter. Then again, it's the best part of my day....
Yup.
Many times I’m out there, before coffee, toothbrush in one hand, poop bag in the other, kicking the ball for them.

But as I’m doing it, I look at them and think they’re the best dogs in the world!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not being unkind here but realistic , as others have said you really need to reconsider. GSD puppies and adults get bored without stimulation and will find their own if not provided and will be destructive, not to mention the toilet problem. Any pup needs lots of time ,but GSD need more than most. When given the right amount of time and effort and training they are wonderful dogs. Please do not get a GSD , I say that with the kindest intention , it just wouldn't be fair and I could pretty much put money on the fact that you will likely regret it and the pup ends up at best been sold on at worse destroyed through no fault of its own. I wouldn't even advise leaving an adult dog for that long .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
No. Just no. The puppy needs/deserves more from you. Please reconsider that this is not the right time for a puppy. Maybe consider adopting or rescuing an adult GSD. Even then, it would need access to the outside at least once a day via a pet sitter or dog walker. Please reconsider! Very glad you reached out for advice.
Thank you so much Tara_Bosch. I am glad I reached out for advice as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Well... I work 4 days a week 10 hours a day. So it is do-able. But, I also live 5 minutes from work and am able to come home to let Dogmeat relieve himself 2 to 3 times a day during my work hours. You also have to understand that your dog will expect your undivided attention when you are home and if he gets bored he will almost definitely destroy things. Dogmeat is well trained and hasn't been in a cage since he was about 5 months old (now 2 years old) and he let's me know when he's bored and needs new toys and games. I also have 3 teenage children to help take care of him. Also, No dog on this planet can hold his pee 12 hours! And if your puppy is stuck in a cage it will have to sit in poop and pee for many hours till you get home. In my opinion, gsd are too emotional to be ignored for an extended amount of time. You could be setting yourself and your possible new puppy up for failure.
Thank you for the reply Willow81. I appreciate the response. It is just me and my wife.

We do not work 5 minutes away from home. We work nearly 40 minutes away. And no-one will be home to let the puppy or the adopted GSD outside.

I will talk to the wife about a dog walker or pet sitter to walk or play with GSD during the day while we are gone.

But we will hold off on GSD puppy for now for sure until our time commitment and situation changes. Especially with the other 9 year old chi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I ever get back that way I will visit. Lol

Yup, all my dogs CAN/COULD hold it for 12 hours. I just find it really rude to ask them to, not to mention unhealthy.
I must give Dogmeat WAY too much water then! At like the 6 hour mark he's doing the "pee dance". He usually has to go out once in the middle of the night to pee too. Perhaps he has a weak bladder 🤔.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why are you even getting a puppy if you are working 12/3 shifts? A puppy need potty training, play WITH YOU time, cuddles, hearing your voice, being touched an a myriad of other needs that won't be met by you or even someone stopping by to let the poor thing out. Maybe a better option for you would be to adopt an adult GSD. In my heart of hearts, I truly believe what you would be doing is neglect and emotionally cruel to a puppy that has been in the world weeks or months. I can't even imagine why you are entertaining the thought of a puppy. Puppies sleep a lot but not 12 hours. I have had dogs all my life and I would never, ever try this no matter what your good intentions are. You are not available enough for a puppy. Please consider an adult adoption. PLEASE.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Why are you even getting a puppy if you are working 12/3 shifts? A puppy need potty training, play WITH YOU time, cuddles, hearing your voice, being touched an a myriad of other needs that won't be met by you or even someone stopping by to let the poor thing out. Maybe a better option for you would be to adopt an adult GSD. In my heart of hearts, I truly believe what you would be doing is neglect and emotionally cruel to a puppy that has been in the world weeks or months. I can't even imagine why you are entertaining the thought of a puppy. Puppies sleep a lot but not 12 hours. I have had dogs all my life and I would never, ever try this no matter what your good intentions are. You are not available enough for a puppy. Please consider an adult adoption. PLEASE.
I think he's already said twice that he's re-thought getting a puppy. The right decision

101 - 110 of 110 Posts