German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna will be 3 month on the first. When she walks she kind of sways a little bit. She was 20lbs last Friday at the vet check exactly. She is slim and healthy looking but her hind quarters and her walking look different. I looked up cowhock she looks like that picture. She runs and plays normally from what I can tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
She’s a bit cow hocked, yes. But she’s also very young. Make sure she gets age appropriate exercise. It could correct itself as she matures. But if it does not, it’s not likely to cause her any issues.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to get a video of her walking behind, but her being cowhocked is a fault, will it effect her doing IPO or any other dog competions?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
In this video she does look cow hocked but she is very young and in an awkward growth stage and she is pulling in the video, which can affect her gait at that moment. My Griff who is 5 months old looks wobbly sometimes. I would not let her pull and allow gentle free movement to get strong. Avoid long walks, especially avoiding pavement.
Keep her lean, feed her a good quality large breed puppy food, gentle exercise on natural surfaces (beach is you can), no stairs. And....don't forget to have fun with her.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It should not prevent her doing IPO work. I honestly would not worry about this, especially at her age. Just make sure you do what we should all be doing with puppies... keep exercise appropriate and feed a good diet. A great many GSDs are slightly cow hocked and compete in any number of dog sports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts