German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There normal right? Spartacus is 14 weeks old and has had 2 little hiccup bouts. Its adorable and I think normal but I thought I read somewhere that they could be an indicator of potential heart problems? Or do I just have puppy OCD?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
It's normal. Puppies get the hiccups a lot through 6 months of age. It's leftover amniotic fluid in the lungs that they are still trying to expel. Wolfie used to hiccup all the time. I haven't heard him get the hiccups in ages. He just burps all the time now.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks for posting this topic. I have a 13 week old with the same thing but she gets the hiccups all the time. I was worried too but now I know it is fine and she will grow out of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's normal. Puppies get the hiccups a lot through 6 months of age. It's leftover amniotic fluid in the lungs that they are still trying to expel. Wolfie used to hiccup all the time. I haven't heard him get the hiccups in ages. He just burps all the time now.
I'm a vet and you are giving false Information, fluid from birth is expelled within a week of being born, most of the time much sooner. If the fluid was still in the lungs at 5 months old the pup would have had pneumonia from it for a while. Please understand that hiccups come from an irritated diaphragm which can cause hiccups. Diaphragm irritation happens when food is eaten to fast or fast water drinking. If your dog is burpping all the time I would take him To your local vet to make sure he doesn't have an issue with his stomach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts