German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my roommates brought home 2 pitbull puppies. They are very skinny, and have VERY swollen wormy looking bellies. I do not have much experience with puppies, especially this young. They are 7 1/2 weeks old. They were going to be dumped at the pound when the roommate took them in. I talked to her about working with a pitbull rescue to place them when ready.

What is the best wormer to use for puppies? Do I need to weigh them for the dose? My concern is intestinal blockage with puppies so wormy... Don't want to kill off all of the worms at once and cause a blockage... Is this a concern or am I just paranoid?

Also... I'm kind of mad they did this. I live in a big house that used to be a duplex, but had the sides opened up. There are currently 5 of us living here. My dogs were ok'd by the landlord, but when this couple moved in the deal with the landlord was their dogs were supposed to be outside only dogs... Its complicated, but we have a landlord who physically owns the property and then what I call our pseudo landlord who does everything. He ok'd the dogs being inside, but said if the actual landlord comes over they're to be outside.

I'm all for rescue efforts.. But the reason I'm mad is they want to keep the puppies. Or at least my other roommate was planning on keeping one. We have FOUR large dogs in the house already... I don't think 5 permanent large dogs is a good idea. And this isn't the first time they've done this. A few days after they moved in, they bought a chihuahua/pug mix from craigslist because the wife had always wanted a little dog. But then decided they couldn't keep her, and sold her on craigslist again.. And I'm pretty sure they just sold her to get money, and didn't evaluate the home. Because they made a comment about not having any gas money etc until she "sold"

I told them we need to talk all together about any permanent pets. The landlord did not want any other dogs at the house. I'm concerned about that, as well as having 5 large dogs in one house. As of right now, the 2 adult pit bulls spend nearly all day in a crate... They have been needing to do a lot of work on their area, and they've barely been getting out except for potty breaks.

ugh. I'm just so frustrated. I hope I can convince them to place the puppies through a rescue... I cannot afford to spay them right now, and I know they can't either. Plus they're so young, so we are going to have to wait. I don't like such early spay, but I'm not about to let them be placed without being altered.

And just, how about some respect?! I'm the manager, and they've now brought a total of 3 dogs in without asking me or the pseudo landlord for permission. It would be different if it was just their space, but its a shared housing situation.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Take puppies to the vet, get strongid, that will take care of most worms. Yes, you do need to weigh them to measure the amount of wormer.

Usually after a couple of weeks, you should worm again. There are other wormers to rotate in, one is panacur, the other might be albon.

If you are concerned with the puppies health, take them to the vet. They need to go to the vet anyway. But I would not let them give vaccinations while they are wormy.

Anyhow, good luck with them. Pit bull rescue does sound like the way to go.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would try speaking with the other housemates, maybe even conduct a household meeting. Discuss the situation, the pros of keeping the puppies, and the cons of keeping the puppies. If the household is so determined in keeping A puppy, then their must be an understanding of care (maybe even present the idea of a contract, stating that the puppy must be sent to a veterinarian at THEIR expense and MUST BE SPAYED OR NEUTERED by a certain age), if they do not keep up with the contract in a month trail to say, then the puppy must be forfeited to a rescue. If they choose to not keep the puppies, then offer the idea of a pitbull rescue or even a no kill shelter. Also, mention that there is a risk keeping these puppies, especially due to the landlord's rules. Not only that, but the fact that there are already 4 dogs on the premise! This could lead to an issue of hierarchy in the future if some of the animals are not fixed. Puppies are cute, but they are A LOT of responsibility. Money is a factor sorry to say it, if someone can't fork up the money, then they shouldn't have a dog. I wish you the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Definitely take them to the vet right away with a fresh poo sample. Who knows what else is wrong with them?

Good luck getting them into a rescue. The pitt rescue up here is overwhelmed with dogs coming in but it's very hard to place them. Puppies would be easier, but still it's hard.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Right now there is no way to take them to the vet... I can't afford it, and of the couple one is on disability and the other unemployed. They were talking about how their 1 yr old pit has never seen a vet before and never received any vaccinations...

So right now I'm working on convincing them to turn the puppies over to a rescue. But I would at least like to start worming them! Not sure how long this is going to take... For now I've told them they have to clean up all poo IMMEDIATELY since roundworms are contagious to both the other dogs and humans. I'm really starting to be torn over if they honestly are trying to help, or if they ARE just puppy flippers...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'm going to be the mean one here and say that if none of you can afford to take care of these sick puppies, you need to take them to the shelter where they can get the care they deserve. These puppies need vet care and it can be illegal to not give it.

You don't know what sort of worms they have, do they have mange or fleas, what about if they don't get their vaccinations and come down with parvo or distemper, how are you going to afford obedience classes, neutering, or even feeding them? If you want to help them, give them up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would definitely try to convince them to surrender the puppies to a no kill shelter. I would contact one tomorrow and see if there is any availability. They obviously cannot afford to care for these puppies, then they should definitely surrender the puppies to someone who can. You can deworm them if you would like, but then again, what if they have something worst? What if your money spent leads to them just trying to resell them? I really hope they are not puppy flippers and are just looking for a buck. Be careful and push for their best interest.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm going to be the mean one here and say that if none of you can afford to take care of these sick puppies, you need to take them to the shelter where they can get the care they deserve. These puppies need vet care and it can be illegal to not give it.

You don't know what sort of worms they have, do they have mange or fleas, what about if they don't get their vaccinations and come down with parvo or distemper, how are you going to afford obedience classes, neutering, or even feeding them? If you want to help them, give them up.
Its not mean. Thats what I want. But I am not the one who took the puppies in, so I'm a bit limited in what I can do. I cannot afford to take these puppies to the vet, I have to take care of my OWN dogs.

I don't want to pull the manager card and say "get them out" and have them be sold or passed to a friend of a friend (because that was mentioned), I'd rather try and be nice and convince them that going to a reputable rescue is really in their best interest.

ETA: the pupppies have no sign of mange or fleas, I did check for that

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. I'm not sure exactly what to call the guy other than pseudo landlord, lol. That fits it the best.

We have the actual landlord, lets call him Rick (I'm changing all names for this.) He owns the property here, and the property where he lives. Lets call the pseudo landlord Jim. Jim lives at Ricks house, has been roommates with him for a very long time. Rick doesn't like to get involved with the rental properties, so he hands over free reign to Jim.

Jim and Rick appointed me as manager at this property, because they wanted someone to be in charge on premises and also to cut the workload of Jim down since Jim does not get paid for any of his work here. So I handle the running of the house, enforce rules and the lease, collect rent, do organizational things (which is actually a lot right now, because the house is also being renovated) and act as a go between. But I'm a go between with Jim, and then he passes necessary information to Rick and leaves what he deems as unnecessary out (such as telling the tenants its fine to have their dogs, but then telling Rick they're outside dogs.)

Does that make more sense or make it more confusing? lol

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
You could call your local shelter and explain the issue, and ask for advice.

If necessary, you might have to call animal control on your housemates as hard as that may seem. The one year old, unless it is the law in your area to have a rabies vaccine, may be perfectly ok. You only HAVE to provide veterinary care if there is a problem. Pups have a problem, and need care. Or they need to be relinquished or euthanized. Sorry, but your buddies cannot allow them to suffer. And if you hold the lease, you may be implicated as well.

I would not risk it. Call and get advice from someone in your area who is familiar with the laws in your area.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not in charge of the lease, I'm in charge of enforcing it and the rules of the house.. But its not my lease, its a lease with the landlord.

And they are most definitely NOT "my buddies." I only met them on january 1st. And to be completely honest, I had NOT ok'd them to move in, I said no with the 2 dogs and the landlord not wanting more dogs. But the pseudo landlord told them yes.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Then call animal control on them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
the swollen wormy looking bellies is the only thing they have?
do you check for wormy in their poop? they vomit anything? if they're vomiting do you see worms in the vomit.
if the only sign of worms is their swollen bellies, just go to the vet or a pharmacy and buy some wormer for them. no need to go to a vet consult for that.

don't know if you have this there but you can buy Drontal Plus.

**Drontal Plus should not be used in pregnant animals or dogs weighing less than 2 lbs. or puppies less than 3 weeks of age.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I agree with selzer. Call animal control.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have drontal plus but its dosage for a full sized GSD. And in the US, you DO need to see a vet for Drontal Plus.

Well there are things stopping me from calling animal control. One, is that I would prefer the puppies go to the pit bull rescue. If I DO call animal control, since they are only wormy and the people will explain that they just took in the pups as a rescue situation and are planning on taking them to the vet (because thats the same line of bull they gave me...) nothing is going to happen. And then when nothing happens... Who called animal control?! That would be obvious, because who else knows to call animal control. I've lived in fear before, and I am NOT interested in it again. I've only known these people a couple weeks. I don't want them getting angry at me or wanting revenge etc.

I'm sorry, I'm very active in rescue and have been for years but I still follow a rule that MY dogs have to come first.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
How about taking the pups to the shelter when their not home and telling them "Rick" came by and said if all the dogs weren't gone by the end of the day they would have to move. If you don't want to be the bad guy thats fine but it sounds like a terrible situation. They already have 2 dogs who are never vetted living in their crates in your home where they can pass off disease to your dogs- it's not okay.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good idea, but I doubt it would work :( The wife is disabled and on disability income, the husband is unemployed.. They don't usually leave the house. And when they do, dogs are crated in their area and everyone has private locks on their area. I DO have a key as manager, but I have to have a reason to go in to their area. The landlord never shows up, and when he does he doesn't enter bedrooms...

I am trying to get ahold of the pseudo landlord to see if there is anything we can do and act together. But again I'm afraid if we just say "can't have them" they are going to be given to that friend of a friend (the text sent to me, was that if they needed to "get rid" of the dogs it was ok, they already had someone lined up.) And I'd honestly feel better for them to go to the rescue. Its not an out of sight out of mind thing, I really want to know where they are going and that its the best. Thats why I'd prefer for them to not just be dumped at a shelter, especially so young.

I only found out about their dogs not having vet care when I found out about the puppies. I was telling them what the puppies needed and concerns etc and they started asking me questions and brought up their young dog not being vetted ever. Still not so sure what to do about that, but I did tell them where to go for low cost clinics and that if they bought vaccine from the farm store I would give the shots for them.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place.

I think you should call animal control with a list of questions, one being vet care, etc.

Then I think you should call a meeting with your roommates and give them and explain what the law is and what the options are for these puppies.

I agree that those pups can be shedding worm eggs, and your dog can get worms or other diseases from them.

It sounds like you do not have much control over the living situation. Any chances of moving out of there and leaving them to it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Drontal Plus
Dogs (weighing over 2 lbs and 3 weeks of age)
How should this medication be given: Give Drontal Plus exactly as directed by the veterinarian. If you do not understand the directions ask the pharmacist or veterinarian to explain them to you. Drontal Plus is given as a single dose. The usual dose of small dog tablets (22.7mg) for dogs 2-4 lbs is 1/2 tablet, 5-7 lbs is 1 tablet, 8-12 lbs is 1 1/2 tablets, 13-18 lbs is 2 tablets and 19-25 lbs is 2 1/2 tablets. The usual dose of medium tablets (68mg) for dogs 26-30 lbs is 1 tablet, 31-44 lbs is 1 1/2 tablets, 45-60 lbs is 2 tablets. The usual dose of large tablets (136mg) for dogs 45-60 lbs is 1 tablet, 61-90 lbs is 1 1/2 tablets and 91-120 lbs is 2 tablets. Tablets may be mixed with food. Fasting is neither necessary nor recommended. Store Drontal Plus at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep out of the reach of children and pets.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts