German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to put this. Just got my little Odin puppy last night, brought him into the house 2 of the first things he did was 1 and 2 on the carpet when I turned my head for a minute. He has eaten a little bit and drank water. I have been getting up every couple hours in the middle of the night to take him outside and he won't do anything but walk me around the yard sniffing. I have been keeping him in a large sectioned off crate so he doesn't mess, so far he hasn't. >.< so tired. zzZZzZzzz.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ha! totally spoke too soon... Just took him out and he peed. I was just getting worried.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first thing you should have done when you brought Odin home was to bring him to the spot where you want him to do his business. I've made the same mistake in the past.

Just continue with the crate training and Odin will eventually relieve himself. Take him out frequently and praise him like crazy when he relieves himself outside. He is in a new environment and still doesn't know where he is supposed to eliminate. Give it time. And remember accidents will happen. If you don't catch him leaving a mess inside then just quietly clean it up. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I didn't punish him for doing it in the house, he's just a big baby and doesn't know better, lol. If I ever get another puppy someday down the road, ill remember to take him to the place he should go first.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
good boy Odin. i took my pup every 15 or 20 minutes when
he first came home. at night i took him out every 2 hours. i had a
designated spot in the yard for him but that didn't last long.
it was easier for me to let him have the entire yard. make sure
you praise, pet and treat when Odin goes.

Ha! totally spoke too soon... Just took him out and he peed. I was just getting worried.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
It works great if you can have a jar/bowl of treats that are by the door you use to let your puppy out to potty. This way no matter how much of hurry you are in you can always grab a treat on the way out to reward him for going outside. I also give a treat when they come back in from going potty so they don't dilly dally around because they know there is a treat when they come back into the house. This also works to your advantage when weather is bad and you don't have to go out with your puppy because you have trained him to come back in the house .

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Zayda, Great advise. I actually started with the treat after potty in the house with my 4 1/2 yr old bitch. She had started taking way too long to go, and with winter coming, I decided to do the treat after potty. Works like a charm!

She also has a designated area in yard to go. I just stand at the door, give her the 'go potty' command, she goes in her area, and back in.

I actually give my puppy buyers a HUGE head start on potty training. By three weeks of age, puppies are moving away from the nursing area of the whelping box and eliminating in a separate area. I take that natural instinct and put in a litter box for them. By 4 wks of age they can climb in and out of it and will use it. I put pine shavings in it and use a cat litter scoop to clean it out. When they are big enough to use the doggie door to the outside kennel, I just put a pile of shavings out there and they go in that. The new owners only need to put some pine shavings in the designated potty spot in the yard and the puppy will already know what it is for. This would also work for them if they could not let the puppy out during the day. Set up an ex-pen with a litter box and you are all set.
One thing I forgot to mention, you would put some newspaper that has been soiled on the bottom of the litter box and shavings over to 'put the scent' of where they should go potty. This works too for messes in the house. If you have urine soaked paper towel, put that outside in the potty spot. Same for poop messes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thats great advice on both accounts. ill put the treats by the door. he is sucha good puppy. i couldnt have asked for a better temperment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts