German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called his vet yesterday that he has had diarrhea since we got him except for soft poo a few times. They told us to feed him chicken and rice until his vet appointment, which is now today at 7 pm. Now he's been spitting up/ throwing up along with the diarrhea. You can tell his body is trying to fight it cause he's a tired little guy and this has caused him to sleep much better in his crate. BUT I'd rather wake up every 10 minutes whole crate training and him feel perfectly fine. At his appointment today he is supposed to get his exams and different testing done, deworming, plus shots needed etc. They said if the chicken and rice didn't help settle his stomach then he probably has a parasite and needs to be dewormed which will be done tonight anyways. He's still so playful and such a great puppy. Fits perfectly in our family! Learned sit in less than 5 minutes and hasn't forgotten it since. I'm sure someone has had something similar happen when they first got their puppy. Please keep our little guy in your thoughts! I'll update tonight after his appointment too. Also, I attached a picture cause everyone always asks for pictures of doggies.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Aw..so cute!

Be sure to bring a stool sample to the vet appointment so they can figure out if it's a parasite problem and if so, which parasite.

My pup, Gracie, is 15 weeks old, and she was having problems with loose, unformed stools in the weeks after we brought her home from the breeder (although she was still high energy, unlike your puppy). She didn't improve, even though I switched her to eating chicken and rice instead of her dog food.

Despite an initial deworming at the breeder's before we brought her home, fecal analysis showed giardia, although the vet couldn't be sure if it was a current infection or the remains of an earlier infection. She had us start Gracie on Panacur, Tylosin powder and a Royal Canin gastrointestinal puppy food. We saw improvement quickly, within the first few days. Hopefully the treatment and recovery for your puppy will be as quick and easy!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aw..so cute!

Be sure to bring a stool sample to the vet appointment so they can figure out if it's a parasite problem and if so, which parasite.

My pup, Gracie, is 15 weeks old, and she was having problems with loose, unformed stools in the weeks after we brought her home from the breeder (although she was still high energy, unlike your puppy). She didn't improve, even though I switched her to eating chicken and rice instead of her dog food.

Despite an initial deworming at the breeder's before we brought her home, fecal analysis showed giardia, although the vet couldn't be sure if it was a current infection or the remains of an earlier infection. She had us start Gracie on Panacur, Tylosin powder and a Royal Canin gastrointestinal puppy food. We saw improvement quickly, within the first few days. Hopefully the treatment and recovery for your puppy will be as quick and easy!

I'm going to try with the stool sample. Did your puppy have to stay on the Gastrointestinal food permanently? Or just until their stomach got stronger and they were feeling better? He got his deworming last Saturday with the breeder and was given a clean bill of health, but who knows now. Hopefully all is figured out tonight and its something very simple to take care of. Thanks for your message!!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Run a parvo test and a fecal test at the vet today!

This pup needs to see a vet TODAY. My vet says vomiting pups are always a same-day visit because it's a potential emergency -- you said your dog is "tired" which means "lethargy," making this a very big deal. Diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy can sometimes be classic symptoms of parvo, which is life-threatening.

He very likely does need to be dewormed, but don't just throw dewormer at it til you know what you've got in the fecal test (which consists of poop mounted on a slide to view under the microscope for the vet to identify parasites).

I would not do any shots until he is healthy -- at best, they're wasted money because his immune system is busy fighting something else, so there's likely no reserve to mount an immune response to a vaccine.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
It is good you are going to the vet today. Pups can get dehydrated really quickly. Im sure your vet will not give any vaccines at this point since your pup is feeling off will be to much for the system. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
He should NOT be getting vaccinated while this is going on.

His system is weakened right now and vacc's will take the immune system even lower!

Run the tests mentioned.

Over 75% of the immune system is in the gut, so you need a probiotic to keep the "good bacteria" active.

You can pick up a good REAL FOOD human Probiotic like below at a Whole Foods store or local Health food store (NOT GNC). https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product-category/product-lines/primal-defense/

Put between a piece of paper towel and crush with the side of a hammer or meat mallet and mix into the chicken and rice mix.

Not the Purina Forta Flora probiotic from vet with questionable ingredients.

Make sure he's getting enough water.

Hope he's better soon.
Moms :smile2:

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
So no vaccines while sick as mentioned. How old is that puppy? He looks very young! Parvo test for sure, and feed small meals multiple times a day. Often when puppies have diarrhea it's because they are getting to much food, but vomiting is always a concern.
People often bring home baby puppies and in the excitement drag them all over and invite everyone to see them. This can not only stress them out but exposes them to all kinds of nasties.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Ironically, I just decided to shift from Forta Flora to another probiotic for the Wild Child. Moms, what would be the dosage for a 90 pd, adult GSD? Yeah, I know she's on a diet --- not happy about it though. ;)

Thanks,

Aly

I do 1 - 2 x daily with food.

:smile2:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
A lot of good advice. But also would not rule out an obstruction (X-rays). Pups like to chew everything.

Hope your pup starts to feel better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
He's 7 and a half weeks. Thank you on the advice of not getting him vaccinated today. I considered mentioning that to the vet. Now I'll definitely make sure they don't give them to him until he is 100%. Even if there just ends up not being anything wrong with him, it'd be good to suggest that they don't give him any vaccines until he has solid stools and is keeping food down (which has gotten better today). Good news, he hasn't vomited any more today. He still has diarrhea. I'm going to bring all of these things up to the vet. I have a stool sample. I will also mention healthy probiotics, that aren't Forta Flora. I can call our local Whole Foods and ask if they have the Primal Defense. We have been doing small meals. His breeder was feeding him a 8, 12, 4, and 8 so we continued that, hoping to make his transition easier. When he was throwing up I made his meals smaller and wouldn't let him eat it himself cause he loves the chicken and rice mix and tried to eat it to quick. I shredded up the chicken and rice with my fingers and have been giving him like half the portion in tiny little bites. Like each bite is the size of 3 pieces of rice. Since then he has stopped throwing up. I'll ask the vet if transitioning him into more smaller meals a day will help as well. I'll take any advice. I always say, there is someone out there who knows more and has a different experience. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
He's 7 and a half weeks. Thank you on the advice of not getting him vaccinated today. I considered mentioning that to the vet. Now I'll definitely make sure they don't give them to him until he is 100%. Even if there just ends up not being anything wrong with him, thait'd be good to suggest they don't give him any vaccines until he has solid stools and is keeping food down (which has gotten better today). Good news, he hasn't vomited any more today. He still has diarrhea. I'm going to bring all of these things up to the vet. I have a stool sample. I will also mention healthy probiotics, that aren't Flora Flora. They SELL Forta Flora! I can call our local Whole Foods and ask if they have the Primal Defense. We have been doing small meals. His breeder was feeding him a 8, 12, 4, and 8 so we continued that, hoping to make his transition easier. When he was throwing up I made his meals smaller and wouldn't let him eat it himself cause he loves the chicken and rice mix and tried to eat it to quick. I shredded up the chicken and rice with my fingers and have been giving him like half the portion in tiny little bites. Like each bite is the size of 3 pieces of rice. Since then he has stopped throwing up. I'll ask the vet if transitioning him into more smaller meals a day will help as well. I'll take any advice. I always say, there is someone out there who knows more and has a different experience. Thanks everyone!

Kay,
Just note that "some" vets will say you are being unreasonable and your puppy MUST have the vac's TODAY! They will goad you into getting the vac's.

"JUST SAY NO" (thank-you) .....not today ! Make it VERY clear in case they take the pup in to the other part of the clinic to be treated and then they say they didn't understand and gave them the vaccinations anyway!

This very thing happened to one of my family members.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kay,
Just note that "some" vets will say you are being unreasonable and your puppy MUST have the vac's TODAY! They will goad you into getting the vac's.

"JUST SAY NO" (thank-you) .....not today ! Make it VERY clear in case they take the pup in to the other part of the clinic to be treated and then they say they didn't understand and gave them the vaccinations anyway!

This very thing happened to one of my family members.

Thanks for the tip. I know personally whenever I get vaccines I typically feel the symptoms of the virus I am being vaccinated for. If that's anywhere near the same with our pup I don't want him being vaccinated until he is 100%. I'd hate for him to have an upset stomach with a low resistance and then to just have something else piled onto his little body. He's just a baby.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did your puppy have to stay on the Gastrointestinal food permanently? Or just until their stomach got stronger and they were feeling better?
Our vet warned us that occasionally a dog does need to stay on the gastrointestinal food for life, which we were concerned about because it's so expensive (but obviously her health comes first), but at least Gracie liked it. As we got to the last third of the bag, we started gradually transitioning Gracie back to her Taste of the Wild (the food the breeder had her on and recommended). She's now solely on Taste of the Wild, and her poops are still solid, so we'll keep her on TOTW for the time being and hope that she really is past her earlier problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So here's an update! Parvo test came back negative and we are so thankful. It was miserable waiting for those results. Its crazy because all of y'all basically predicted what would happen. This is why I ask questions on here. I went into the appointment with more information than I would have. He is being treated for a parasite. He is being given a prescription royal canin dog food that is bland and for intestinal problems, a wet dog food that is similar all mixed together with warm water. And then as a snack he gets more wet dog food mixed with a dewormer and probiotics once a day. When I get the chance I will update with the exact names if anyone is curious. He had to be given under the skin fluids because he was slightly dehydrated. Also, he was not given any vaccinations. I didn't even have to request it, the vet said right away that it won't happen until he is better. We are optimistic everything will be fine. He's on a strict food schedule with all of this. The next 24 hours are important, he needs solid stool and to be drinking plenty, as well as keeping his food down. As long as everything goes well, we follow up at the end of the week. Please keep our guy in your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Great news -- parasites are treatable! I'd been worried about your pup today -- thanks very much for coming back with the update!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great news -- parasites are treatable! I'd been worried about your pup today -- thanks very much for coming back with the update!
Thank you for caring! Positive thoughts go a long way! Her it is almost 5 am for us and his stool is getting harder so that's an improvement. As we go on throughout the day I hope he keeps getting better and better! He's a champ.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
9 days since we had to bring him to the vet and he is still doing wonderful!! He has doubled in weight since then and is just a ball full of energy, until he continues crashing for his naps haha. If he isn't sleeping he is playing hard, the benefits of always having someone home. Here is a video of our ferocious little guy, Obi. :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
9 days since we had to bring him to the vet and he is still doing wonderful!! He has doubled in weight since then and is just a ball full of energy, until he continues crashing for his naps haha. If he isn't sleeping he is playing hard, the benefits of always having someone home. Here is a video of our ferocious little guy, Obi. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
He looks very sweet and pretty mellow!! I could not get Rollo to ever sit still that long.. I had to deal with this handsome monster of an 8 week old puppy who would run circles around me for like 15 straight minutes with constant bite jumps while sprinting. Rollos working lines were a shock at first but now a joy @ 6 months! Enjoy your little guy & the puppy stage. I would kill to be able to go back to that time & I would go through 2-3 week periods of not being able to per/touch Rollo unless he was asleep lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts