German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 7 months old, almost exactly. This morning, his poop was normal, but he hasn't eaten all day. I found a spot at work when I got back from lunch where I think he threw up, and when I took him out at about 4pm he had diarrhea.

He still hasn't eaten and obviously isn't feeling good. He still came out to see me when I got home from running errands, but was moving a lot slower than usual. There's nothing outstanding to point to a cause. Hasn't eaten anything weird that I know about.

I went and got some pedialyte and got him to drink a bit. He lapped a bit up. Used a syringe to give him another 10ml or so.

Any other suggestions? It's really only been 12 hours or so, as he was acting pretty normal this morning. If he's still under the weather tomorrow, I plan on giving him some boiled chicken and rice and see if that helps. If it continues through tomorrow, I'll try to get him in to see the vet on Friday.

Meanwhile, how much pedialyte should I be trying to give him? I'm going to get up a few times tonight and see if he'll drink more. I'm hoping that this is just something he ate and will pass quickly, but it's hot here in northern Nevada and I want to keep him hydrated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized that I should have posted this in the health section instead - can a mod please move it for me? Sorry about that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took him out last night and he had diarrhea again. So far (6 am) he's still lethargic. I'll stop by the vet on my way to work this morning and see if they have any openings today.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the vet. He checked out good and is 58.5 pounds! Wow! Last time he was at the vet he was only 28 pounds.

Anyway, they ran some blood work on him and I'm waiting for the results. It's really only been 24 hours or so since this started, so the vet said that it might clear up on it's own but at least the blood work would be useful for future reference (hope so, it was expensive). If it keeps up, they'll do an x ray and other checks on his GI system on Monday.

Now, back at work...he ate a piece of chicken and a bit of rice! And drank some water! He still had diarrhea when I took him out, but at least he's getting a bit of food in and I'm not so worried about him being dehydrated. Hoping that the vet visit was unnecessary and he'll just pull through on his own.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His blood work came back fine! I'm relieved. We'll see how he does today...vet said that she could give him an appetite stimulant tomorrow to get him through the weekend if needed.

She did mention some concern about his muscle mass and weight, but that's not related specifically to this topic so I'll start another thread for that. It wasn't my usual vet (who has more experience with GSDs) so I'm not too concerned about that issue yet.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I had a full blood panel done before. It's good to have a baseline on file.

Whenever my boy has bad diarrhea I withhold food for 12 to 24 hours, give fresh water but do not allow him to gulp. After that its a bland diet of chicken or hamburger with rice. The fasting is a gut reset.

Glad you took him in.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy was around the same weight at that age. His muscle was good because we hike alot with him. I would post a picture of him standing from a distance. This is most likely nothing to worry about. He still has alot of growing to do:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh man. The things I do for my dog...the wife isn't gonna like that idea, I'll have to get a thrift store ladle! Hahaha.

He's eating and drinking more. Hoping that it just levels out over the next day or so.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My first thought if you don't know his vaccine history is parvo, which there is a snap test for. At his age and with good supportive care he can get through it on his own. I'd expect his bloodwork to come back with dehydration, though.
Also heavy parasite load can cause some GI symptoms. Fecal check should be fast and cheap at your vet.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He's got all his vaccines - parvo shouldn't be a concern at this point.

And the bloodwork didn't show dehydration...I was kinda proud of that, my extra attention yesterday with the pedialite obviously paid off!

If it continues a fecal check is the next step. Right now he seems to be improving.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I had a long night.

He ate (chicken, rice, and pumpkin mix) and seemed a bit more playful yesterday evening. I thought we were gonna be fine.

But I was up every 1.5-2 hours last night taking him outside. Not a solid poop among them, either. Just pure liquid.

And around 2am he threw up a bunch of chicken (he had eaten around 6).

Guess I'll call the vet in a few minutes. Made the same mix for him this morning and he doesn't want to eat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi did you try hills i/d tin food
Had never heard of it before. Looks like I have to get a prescription to get it though, and it seems like it's more of a maintenance than medicine kind of thing?

FWIW, he usually gets a probiotic supplement as part of his daily diet.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'd definitely do a fecal. Have them specifically test for Giardia too. (different test than the fecal) My guy has Giardia, and was super lethargic (like alarmingly - he's usually lively and energetic and if he doesnt burn off energy outside, he doesnt settle) His tummy was bothering him, he wasn't eating his food, and he had on/off loose stools. So.....i'd test for that! Berlin had that and coccidia when he was very young too - 10 weeks old.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts