German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,238 Posts
Of course it doesn't. Just like human growth charts don't apply to all children equally. Consider that there's a 22 pound (10 kg) variation in the standard for adult dogs, not even including dogs that are outside the standard.

Also, not all puppies grow at the same rate. Some grow a lot early on, then slow down. Others start out slow, but catch up later. The chart is based on averages and is not intended to be interpreted as an absolute.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I used that when my puppy was really young. He's a year now. It predicted he would be around 71 lbs full grown. He is that now. His sire is 83lb and dam is 74 lb....so he's fill out somewhere in that range. I say this works for some, not for all...every dog is different : )

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've determined the growth chart is definitely not a holy bible... my boy is starting out slow growing, but he's getting notably larger each day. If I went by that chart, he should only be 8 weeks old, not 13 weeks. They all grow at different paces, just like people :)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I've determined the growth chart is definitely not a holy bible... my boy is starting out slow growing, but he's getting notably larger each day. If I went by that chart, he should only be 8 weeks old, not 13 weeks. They all grow at different paces, just like people :)
Correct... I stopped growing at 5', but my little sister carried onto 5'6"....:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts