German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommie and I share a GSD puppy and he LOVES hugs from behind. Example if I squat down to the ground he likes being between my legs with my arms around him. However, when either of us hugs him from the side he growls and he's only 13-14 weeks old now! I KNOW DOGS DONT LIKE HUGS AND ALL BUT SHOULD I BE WORRIED THAT HE MIGHT ATTACK? I don't want to have a boundary with my dog you know?

Also, he doesn't seem to wag his tail a lot either. Not even when I have treats or have food for him. He just jumps all over the place and I wait for him to calm down before feeding him. My golden wags her tail all the time so this is just weird for us.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi Lotus,

Can't say from the internet what is going on. This is something that an experienced person needs to observe to have an idea of the dynamics and interactions between you and your pup. But for the tail part, GSDs are not all big tail waggers (not like Labs, for example). Some do, others don't. If he acts happy and excited, then he is happy and excited.

My concern is not the growling or the lack of tail wagging, it is your fear that your pup will grow up to attack you. This is a recurring theme, and every action and behaviour is seen from your part as future indication of the dog growing up to be a killer. I don't understand why you chose a GSD if you have such ingrained worries and fears.

I want to advise that perhaps a GSD is not the right dog for you, but I know that you are already attached and bonded to him. You really need to get this idea of him turning on you out of your head - get involved in training groups, really involved, in training and activities so YOU can develop more confidence in your dog, and see what is normal and get feedback from experienced owners and trainers.

Was this pup a rescue or did you get him from a breeder? A good breeder will offer support and help for the lifetime of the pup, to make sure they start off on the best possible foot ever and have the highest chance of success at fitting in their new home. Have you met the parents or other dogs from this breeder? If they are nice, normal, happy, friendly, obedient dogs, then you have nothing to fear. That is what you pup will grow up to be too.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Talk to your breeder, maybe even you can visit with some of the other littermates to see them play.

Puppies growl and bite when they PLAY. It sounds scary. Frankly, if I'm in the middle of the play biting it hurts and I bleed. That doesn't make it any less puppy PLAY.

Toys all over the house help (tug toys) so I don't get the mouth end of the deal.

Listen to this growling...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts