German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 12 week old puppy,we purchased her from a reputable breeder. We did all the research,contacted references,etc. Recently our female puppy has been growling if the children come around her food dish, or if someone tries to take something from her. As soon as we brought her home we had the kids petting her and feeding her and being near her while she ate. We also had them take toys from her,never a problem before. Now she is actually growling and snapping. I'm very concerned. I contacted a trainer but the trainer won't be able to come out for another week. I'm at a total loss as to why she would be doing this.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
First, stop having the kids mess with her and take her food. This is the worst way to teach a dog to be fine with people near its bowl, in fact, constantly testing and taking their food is a sure fire way to CREATE resource guarding.

Leave her alone when she us eating. In fact, if you walk past her bowl, drop more food in it. That way she will look forward to your presence around her bowl, because she gets good things when you approach. Same with the kids.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before I got my pup 2 weeks ago I did a ton of research on and off this site. And one thing I did learn here was to stay away from my dog while he's eating. And that's exactly what I've done. Another thing I learned here was to only go near there if I'm throwing something good in there. Which I also do and Iliad looks at me from the corner of his eye saying "what you tossing in". Works great. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've never understood the whole messing with them while they eat. That's like somebody trying to touch my plate while I"m eating..I'll slap your hand..especially if there is cake on the plate.

I also do the tossing stuff in ... small bits of apple are good for that

now the taking stuff away when they have it ..sometimes you HAVE to do that. I am trying to get Roxy to let me check her bones every 5 minutes so I can make sure there are no slivers or shards..she's pretty good..she knows I'm checking and she'll get it back after I clean it off.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
OP also needs help for resource guarding of the toys. I'm sorry, not experienced with puppies (I adopt adult dogs).

That's excellent that you contacted a trainer. For the next week, maybe she can eat in her crate?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm old school... I would sit down with the puppy and the kids and make the puppy accept the kids near the food dish. Thats just how I did it... might be their food, but I gave it to them so they get it by my rules. If I want to put my hand in there or a kid wants to, the dog better step back or learn to eat around my hand (which is usually what happens).

Ironically I just posted a picture that I titled "Food Aggression", which is a sarcastic title.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts