German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Leo just turned five months and is 65lbs. He is very lean and just seems to be growing at a very fast rate, everything I have read online says he should be around 40lbs at this point. He is on puppy food and I don’t know if he should be switched to adult food or maybe 50/50 for puppy and adult.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
160 Posts
He is growing that fast because of his genetics, there is nothing that you could have done to significantly slow it down. Food wont alter his growth enough to matter. I would keep him on puppy food for the low Ca/Phos levels since he is so big. As long as the vet has cleared him of any health issues then I wouldn't worry, you just have a big pup. Keep him lean and just keep an eye on him. Have any pictures?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Puppy food for Large breed Dogs. I also give him (Griff, almost 10 months old) 1000 mg Vit. C a day (breeders' advice) and a teaspoon of Golden Paste (google) to prevent Panosteitis, which has helped greatly. No more Pano after a short two week bout when he was about 5 months old.
Can you post is best a picture?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is currently on the fromm brand large dog puppy gold and is eating anywhere from 6-8 cups a day. I know a birds eye view picture would probably be best but this is all i have available right now. You can easily feel his ribs. I will try him with some vitamin c!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Golden Paste doesn't do much for pancreatitis - a digestive enzyme , proteolytic enzyme from
pineapple stem - bromelain , and from beet root - betaine .

the golden paste products are expensive - far too easily made from scratch -- and have
fibrous residue on the bottom of your cup . But they can be tasty .
I wouldn't rely on them for therapeutic results.
I have reviewed so many products in the market place.

secondly - the turmeric being used. Virtually all of it is a China product .
the turmeric powder is pale golden .
it is fine for culinary use .

the best , most effective turmeric is a dark orange red colour . The stronger the
colour the more active compounds for health benefits.

I select organic certified , deep brick red , aromatic - even from a distance, turmeric
grown in India .

for commercial products , for health , look at Epigenetic Labs 3D fermented turmeric , or

Naturally Better Curcumin x 4000 , or into AOR 's Curcumin Active .

Bovril ? high salt cntent , questionable caramel colouring (cancer?) --

much better sources for bone broth nowadays -- make it yourself - or conveniently buy
it -- shelf stable -- organic products such as Organika .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts