German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Scout is my 14 week old gsd/beagle mutt.

We've had her every since she was young and have worked on socialization since I first got her. I've taken her into stores, had people pet her, had our neighbors pet her, had kids over, and she lives with a few cats.

Despite everything, she still acts pretty nervous around people. When someone tries to pet her, she does this weird jump-dance thing around them. The only exception are kids. She LOVES kids and tries to lick them in the face if the come within six feet. :D

Recently though, I've noticed she's been getting possessive or something. Whenever we're outside and our neighbors take a cut through our yard to walk to the gas station, she yanks on the end of the leash and barks at them. I can usually get her to sit but she still does these little woofs an growls until she can't see them.

The worst incident happened a few days ago. My dad and I decided to drop off some things for some customers and figured we should bring Scout along since she was pretty bored all day. She was riding well in the middle seat, until one of the customers decides to walk up to my window to talk to us. Scout immediately jumps into my lap and starts growling. When he reached in to pet her, she started barking and growling louder and trying to hop up the window.

I told her no, put her back in the middle seat, and apologized but the damage had been done. He was looking at both of us like Scout had tried to rip his throat out. I'd probably think the same thing, though. It was really embarrassing. When I told my mom, she was proud because she thinks that means Scout would protect us or something. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd like to nip this thing in the bud before it gets out of hand, or more out of hand than it already is. Right now she's just a little thing and if she gets any bigger, I'd like to know she isn't going to attack anyone while I'm at work or something and Mom's watching her. Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think your mom is right - your Scout is a naturally protective. She certainly has a good drive - I would play fetch/tug with her to give her an outlet for that drive. Be sure she ends up winning - that really give her confidence and fulfills that drive. For other people I would be careful. I would watch her - have her sit/stay and reward her - distracting with a toy helps too. It is too bad you have to tie her outside - that isn't going to help her and then when she lunges at people and gets the jerk on her neck that only makes her behave worse. I suggest a fenced in yard or a kennel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

I was just worried that she might be becoming a little too territorial. We're planning on fencing in the back yard once we have enough money/materials saved up.

She's actually pretty good when we're away from the house or the truck, but as soon as we go home it's like she enters "guard mode" or something.

Today after I made this thread the a/c guy came over. He was talking to my dad through a crack in the screen door. (We have cats that aren't allowed outside.) She saw the stranger and lunged for the crack, just wanting to get out at him one way or another. This is probably the worst incident that's happened, and I'm not really sure what to do with her. I've been trying to teach her to down/stay when people come over, but she wasn't having none of that today...

Any tips on how to train her to be calmer when we have visitors? I'd hate to have to lock her up whenever someone comes over, you know?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would not allow her to lunge at the door - say no - have her sit and you stand in front of her - with your back to her - that shows Scout that you are in charge. I would have her on her leash when someone comes to the door - she has to sit by your side - if she lunges to the person - again say no and insist she sit. Also the person coming in should totally igore her and not approach her at all. When she is calm then she can sniff the person - if she starts to lunge be sure to stop her - it helps if the person will turn their back. If you have puppy classes in your area, you may want to sign up - that will help her socialization.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help.

I've contacted a trainer that does puppy classes and they start in May, so hopefully we'll be able to get in on that.

For now, I'm gonna be working on socialization and the exercise you suggested. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts