German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Sam (Samantha) a little over a week ago. She will be 14 weeks on Wednesday. Today when we arrived at work (She comes to work with me every day) she vomited when she was about to come out of the crate.
She's only done this once before and that was because I fed her 30 minutes before leaving.

She's very good in her crate in the back seat. She doesn't whine, bark or freak out when she goes in her crate, she just lays down and is quiet.
The drive to work is only about 7-10 minutes from home.

I don't want this developing into anything worse so any advice on what to do to keep her from getting carsick would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Ryan

Attachments

·
2,967 Posts
In my experience they usually grow out of it with continued exposure to being in the car. I would take lots of car trips. If you run to the gas station/corner store/post office/get the newspaper, put her in the car. I have found that my one who was carsick did better if he had eaten an hour or so before we went in the car becuse then he had less stomach acid. He was also my pup that would throw up if his meal was 30 minutes late.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo (7.5 months) has always gotten car sick. He is just now beginning to only drool when we're traveling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My dog would get sick every time he got in the truck when he was a young pup. They will out grow it so don't worry. I would not feed him right before you go for a car ride so he has less in his stomach. Can you feed him at your work? My dog hated the truck because he always got sick, I would have to pick him up to even get him close to the truck. Now if I open the door he's in there before I can even get the kids in the truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dog would get sick every time he got in the truck when he was a young pup. They will out grow it so don't worry. I would not feed him right before you go for a car ride so he has less in his stomach. Can you feed him at your work? My dog hated the truck because he always got sick, I would have to pick him up to even get him close to the truck. Now if I open the door he's in there before I can even get the kids in the truck.
Sounds exactly like her. I have to pick her up and put her in the truck as well. I'm hoping she outgrows it like your pup did. Also, yes I have just now started feeding her at work after the truck ride to lessen the amount of puke I have to clean up.

Thank you all for your replies so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts