German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a little issue with Schatzi that is driving me crazy. Last few days she has been waking up around 4 in the morning with tons of energy. Prior to that she would easily sleep till 7-7:30 when I would wake up.

When she wakes up at 4 in the morning with all that energy she starts messing around with my couch. Last couple of days she has had this thing for pulling the cushion from the couch and go bananas with it. And, if she is not doing that she is in my room trying to wake up her little brother Cudi who is sleeping in his crate.

I thought Schatzi was probably lacking exercise but for the past week I have been working her out more than before! More training, playing, walking, driving around...So I am some what shocked that this 7 1/2 month old puppy is waking up this early with all this energy.

So I need your help ladies/gents!

What would you do if you had this issue?

and How can I prevent her from going crazy this early in the morning?

P.S. She is not crate trained since I never had any issues like this till now. :mad::(

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Hi All,

and How can I prevent her from going crazy this early in the morning?

P.S. She is not crate trained since I never had any issues like this till now. :mad::(

Thanks!
And this is exactly reason #5427 why crate training is best for ALL pups! We never know when a situation comes up where we need to use a crate (vets office is another 'sudden' place to NOT find out your dog freaks in a crate cause not crate trained). A crate isn't a tool we only use AFTER we have a problem with a dog. It's a vital addition to the raising and training that is best a part of our pups life as early as possible.

Your pup is going crazy because around 6 months is when ALL our pups get more independent and test their boundaries and limits. What is clearly being tested and WORKING is if she feels like waking everyone up at 4 am and running amock, then she can (whoohoo! Even negative attention can be better than no attention at all at a boring 4 am in the morning :wild: )

Get another crate, put it in your bedroom, and start crate training. You'll probably have a bad few nights when she tries to 'teach' you the error in your ways .... but I'm betting you have it in you to hang tough and wait her out.

How are the dog classes going? Maybe you can ask your instructor to give you some more challenging things to do so it ups your pups mental engagement and stimulation in learning during the day. You also need to not under-rate the situation that you have intentionally decided to have TWO puppies in the house at the same time. Most of us (I never could) can't do it well so space out our pups more to make it easier on everyone.

Have you read ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/167994-should-i-get-two-puppies-dogs-once.html there are hints and tips there too that should help.

:paw:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And this is exactly reason #5427 why crate training is best for ALL pups! We never know when a situation comes up where we need to use a crate (vets office is another 'sudden' place to NOT find out your dog freaks in a crate cause not crate trained). A crate isn't a tool we only use AFTER we have a problem with a dog. It's a vital addition to the raising and training that is best a part of our pups life as early as possible.

Your pup is going crazy because around 6 months is when ALL our pups get more independent and test their boundaries and limits. What is clearly being tested and WORKING is if she feels like waking everyone up at 4 am and running amock, then she can (whoohoo! Even negative attention can be better than no attention at all at a boring 4 am in the morning :wild: )

Get another crate, put it in your bedroom, and start crate training. You'll probably have a bad few nights when she tries to 'teach' you the error in your ways .... but I'm betting you have it in you to hang tough and wait her out.

How are the dog classes going? Maybe you can ask your instructor to give you some more challenging things to do so it ups your pups mental engagement and stimulation in learning during the day. You also need to not under-rate the situation that you have intentionally decided to have TWO puppies in the house at the same time. Most of us (I never could) can't do it well so space out our pups more to make it easier on everyone.

Have you read ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/167994-should-i-get-two-puppies-dogs-once.html there are hints and tips there too that should help.

:paw:
Thanks Maggie :)

I will go get a crate tonight! I can't let her keep going crazy at 4 in the morning lol.

Training has gone great and over the weekend I spoke to the trainer about starting to heel with Schatzi and he told me he wasn't sure she is "ready" because this is only our 2nd class. But Schatzi is doing great in it so I went and bought a dvd on heeling and started on my own at home :)

Now about having two puppies I know I read the article before and I also read a few others. Cudi is barely getting used to being with us so it has been a long few nights; however, I am very committed and willing to put the effort. I have LEARNED A LOT with Schatzi with training, socializing, and just having a dog at home. It's an amazing experience and it has enhanced my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
GREAT advice.. just wanted to say that :) hope things start getting better. I have a High energy pup an dthe crate was my savior! LOL that and toy restriction :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts