German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lol weird topic title i know... so there is a family about 2 1/2 hours north of here that let us adopt one of their older puppy shepherds that was 17 weeks old for 250 no papers included... but she had gas all the way home really narly... and when she had her first poop it was green! GREEN! I SAY! lol i have two sheps already but them i both got when they were 8wks... so i found it very weird her poop was green looked like grass poop lol now i did adopt her from people who raise pups on a farm.. and they have 27 puppies currently and 8 shepherds plus all the farm animals.. i have to wonder if the pup was eating slop or something... i just got the pup home yesterday and bought our normal food but in the puppy version (victor active puppy) I have to wonder tho what she was eating to make her poop green, if i should even bother asking the people i got her from.. as they said they were too busy with the 27 pups and helping their sick grams move to get her shots.. i scheduled the appointment for friday afternoon to have her checked out and shots done (soonest they could get me in) i dont know if anyone else here maybe has fed food to make poop green or not... she has a few hot spots around her eyes (2) nothing major just noticable.. possibly a allergic reaction to whatever she was eating or the environment she was in.. i did wash her in a anti fungal shampoo hoping it helps clear up her skin and today its already looking better (starting to show signs of healing already) ... i know i keep going on and on... lol point of the post... just want to know about the poop.. its bugging me why the poop was green? anyone seen this before maybe in food or maybe pig slop (my guess) :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You took a real chance adopting that pup! With no vaccinations and no health checks or worming you could be looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills! Also with that many dogs running around the place, it's possible the pups could be from a mating between close relatives (brother/sister, or even father mating with its own pup) which could lead to genetic issues.

That being said, from the photo she looks to be in fairly good health. It's not uncommon for farm dogs to eat manure or food being fed to the animals, and get their digestion upset as a result. When I worked at a riding stable, one of the dogs loved to eat the horses's sweet feed (grain with molasses) and all the dogs loved to eat the poop from the calves that were being milk fed by their mothers. Yeah, gross but totally normal, as the mother dog cleans up after her pups as long as they are drinking her milk...

I hope the digestive problems clear up quickly. Was the poop normal, or was it diarrhea? Did the vet ask for a stool sample? You really need to get the pup tested for worms, as I am sure the breeders didn't do that, either!

According to what I found when I googled, green poop usually means excessive grass consumption, or problems with the gall bladder. Given it's spring, and the grass is growing young, tender blades my money would be on the first one! So, nothing to worry about unless she continues to have green poops, or is having diarrhea.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Well, you just bought from a puppy mill or puppy farm. I sincerely hope your luck holds but that was a mistake and I hope you learn from it. No one should be supporting these things.

Green poop- many livestock feeds are alfalfa based and that will turn poop green. I suspect if you had looked at any of the manure it was a similar color.
Your pup needs to be dewormed and should be tested for other nasty parasites. The dull tone of her coat tells me she likely has worms.
When I got Shadow she had a bacterial skin infection that required prescription shampoo to clear up.
You will also want her heart and lungs listened to, it is not uncommon for dogs to pick up respiratory illnesses when living in proximity to livestock in less then good conditions.
Time will tell if other issues are present, no point looking now but be very clear with your vet that this pup was living in less then ideal conditions and be sure to ask for fecal tests and skin scrapings.
Monitor her weight and body condition and handle diet changes slowly. Prolonged exposure to poor feed can create all kinds of digestive issues and although the impulse is to get good food into them rapid changes can create other problems.
Good luck. She's cute.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
In addition to the shots, have the vet run a fecal test. It's very likely she will need another round of deworming.

If the poop doesn't improve after that, then I'd ask the vet to run an IDEXX Diarrhea PCR panel (it costs over $100 but tests for nearly everything -- including many things common in farm animals that can infect dogs). The last farm pups we rescued that had chronic diarrhea had to have this panel run -- they had corona virus, giardia, clostridium perfringens and something else I'm forgetting -- it was a nasty cocktail of infection that took weeks to fix, and the vet said this kind of mess is related to them being around farm animals.

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
Chlorophyll (plant material) can turn poop green.

It could be the relatively harmless result of the puppy eating a lot of manure - cow, horse, chicken, pig, you name it.

Agree, you should take a fecal sample to your vet for a float/direct smear as soon as you have time. Most of the time, the parasites dogs pick up from healthy farm animals aren't a big deal, and can be dealt with easily enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You took a real chance adopting that pup! With no vaccinations and no health checks or worming you could be looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills! Also with that many dogs running around the place, it's possible the pups could be from a mating between close relatives (brother/sister, or even father mating with its own pup) which could lead to genetic issues.

That being said, from the photo she looks to be in fairly good health. It's not uncommon for farm dogs to eat manure or food being fed to the animals, and get their digestion upset as a result. When I worked at a riding stable, one of the dogs loved to eat the horses's sweet feed (grain with molasses) and all the dogs loved to eat the poop from the calves that were being milk fed by their mothers. Yeah, gross but totally normal, as the mother dog cleans up after her pups as long as they are drinking her milk...

I hope the digestive problems clear up quickly. Was the poop normal, or was it diarrhea? Did the vet ask for a stool sample? You really need to get the pup tested for worms, as I am sure the breeders didn't do that, either!

According to what I found when I googled, green poop usually means excessive grass consumption, or problems with the gall bladder. Given it's spring, and the grass is growing young, tender blades my money would be on the first one! So, nothing to worry about unless she continues to have green poops, or is having diarrhea.

Poop was normal just grass looking... already her poop is brown :) no worms in it.. i did check that... ive gotten a shep from this lady before (but before they had shots) she just said they have been super busy and havent had a chance to get around to it... still seems sketchy to me.. but whatever.. (they do live out in the country at least 2 hours from a vet) again taking her to our vet friday as thats the soonest they could get me in.. i can bring in a stool sample when i go. shes pooping normally tho and now its brown and nice, no diarreah even with putting her on the victor fully :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

poop was normal when we got her from the first poop just full of like grass.. already its brown and firm thanks to the victor... and no worms in it.. i did check... soonest vet could get me in is friday... i will bring in a stool sample just to have it checked.. :wink2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

poop was normal when we got her from the first poop just full of like grass.. already its brown and firm thanks to the victor... and no worms in it.. i did check... soonest vet could get me in is friday... i will bring in a stool sample just to have it checked.. thats good to hear... lol this was a accidental mating they did NOT want so many pups at once.. they had plans for two.. and ended up with 3 litters. I know I washed her in a anti fungal shampoo and and spraying her daily with it.. just because of percaution.. they have a kennel out back for the pups and said they brought her inside at night... i just think she was eating something when she was outside.. so i was hoping people on here would tell me if its possible it was just grass or feed she was into.. no breathing issues... her lungs sound clear. she seems to be in good health minus what shes been eating.. and minus not being vaccinated.. which is why i made the call to the vet the moment my husband picked her up... as far as some of the comments on the thread about me taking a risk getting this pup... perhaps i did.. but isnt it better that "I" a responsible pet owner take in this pup than some joe smoe who doesnt care about the health of the animal to take her in... id rather be the 1 in 27 pup takers that provide a great home.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Our dogs had green poop this morning. Sabis mom is right about the alfalfa. My guys always eat the ground up alfalfa leaves they find on the ground. They must have chowed down on some yesterday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our dogs had green poop this morning. Sabis mom is right about the alfalfa. My guys always eat the ground up alfalfa leaves they find on the ground. They must have chowed down on some yesterday.
thank you so much for the simple answer <3 thats what i was hoping for i was thinking alfalfa too, because now her poop is brown and normal...

·
Registered
712 Posts
With the exception of tape worms and round worms, most intestinal parasites are microscopic (or nearly so), so you wouldn't see them in her poop, even if she has them. If they were too busy to giver her the shots she needs, they were probably too busy to follow a deworming schedule, so having a fecal done when she sees the vet is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
poop was normal when we got her from the first poop just full of like grass.. already its brown and firm thanks to the victor... and no worms in it.. i did check... soonest vet could get me in is friday... i will bring in a stool sample just to have it checked.. thats good to hear... lol this was a accidental mating they did NOT want so many pups at once.. they had plans for two.. and ended up with 3 litters. I know I washed her in a anti fungal shampoo and and spraying her daily with it.. just because of percaution.. they have a kennel out back for the pups and said they brought her inside at night... i just think she was eating something when she was outside.. so i was hoping people on here would tell me if its possible it was just grass or feed she was into.. no breathing issues... her lungs sound clear. she seems to be in good health minus what shes been eating.. and minus not being vaccinated.. which is why i made the call to the vet the moment my husband picked her up... as far as some of the comments on the thread about me taking a risk getting this pup... perhaps i did.. but isnt it better that "I" a responsible pet owner take in this pup than some joe smoe who doesnt care about the health of the animal to take her in... id rather be the 1 in 27 pup takers that provide a great home.
It isn't a question of you providing a good home at all. It's that by you buying her it encourages further irresponsible behavior. If they had time to take two litters for health checks then they had time for three, so high probability they bothered with none. Also understand that livestock vets usually do farm dog vaccines as well, so high probability again that the livestock aren't vaccinated properly hence my concern. Just get your girl checked thoroughly.
A responsible breeder who had an oops litter would have still ensured proper care for the pups, would still have registered the litter and would still have done due diligence with regards to health screening on pups and parents. I know of a breeder who's young male proved his determination by gaining access to an available female. First thing he did was a total health check, hip and elbow xrays and DM testing. Then he buckled down to training so that he could at least say he was working toward titles when the pups arrived. He also learned from his mistakes and made good and sure there could be no further mishaps. And this was a male from respectable breeding who was probably ok anyway and he could have skated on the "titled parents", he opted not to because he cared.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It isn't a question of you providing a good home at all. It's that by you buying her it encourages further irresponsible behavior. If they had time to take two litters for health checks then they had time for three, so high probability they bothered with none. Also understand that livestock vets usually do farm dog vaccines as well, so high probability again that the livestock aren't vaccinated properly hence my concern. Just get your girl checked thoroughly.
A responsible breeder who had an oops litter would have still ensured proper care for the pups, would still have registered the litter and would still have done due diligence with regards to health screening on pups and parents. I know of a breeder who's young male proved his determination by gaining access to an available female. First thing he did was a total health check, hip and elbow xrays and DM testing. Then he buckled down to training so that he could at least say he was working toward titles when the pups arrived. He also learned from his mistakes and made good and sure there could be no further mishaps. And this was a male from respectable breeding who was probably ok anyway and he could have skated on the "titled parents", he opted not to because he cared.
if it wasnt me taking her in, it would of been someone else... they have a high word of mouth here where i live as one of the very few breeders in a 12 hour radius... but i will be taking in a stool sample as well as have testing done when i take her in friday... i have a higher priced vet in the area but thats cause they are better.. they wont even let a puppy sit in the lobby because of parvo reasons.. ive tried other vets and this vet is the very best in the area hence why they could only get me in friday at a certain time that they gave me.. and no matter what ill be there. I honestly dont care about papers or anything im not showing the dog, breeding them.. im just wanting pets... as i love shepherd companionship... so that has never bothered me as non of the 4 (now) have papers. not everyone is for that.. but trust i am getting the dog tested.... i was just asking about the color of poop... not to be ridiculed and scolded by folks because i chose to take the pup in... i mean shelters take in so many animals why should these pups end up at a shelter, if a responsible pet owner is willing to take the risk and make a pups life the best they can possibly give it? Im just saying dont down someone for doing something good.. encourage dont be dismissive.

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Perhaps in the future things could be condensed a bit...

Subject: Green Poop
Body: Recently purchased a pup and after getting her home, her poop appears to be green. The litter was raised on a farm. Do you suppose ingesting plant materials such as alfalfa, etc, could be the cause? Vet appointment on Friday... just wondering.

On a public forum, people will comment on any and all information provided.

Hope that helps. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The difference is the shelter getting the money, not someone lining their pockets.

Regardless the rest of the information I and others gave was in an effort to help not only the pup but your other dogs and the humans that may be exposed.
My current dog is a mill pup that has innumerable severe issues, from the mill it took me two years to shut down after finding and saving her. He called it a farm as well, on his million dollar country estate.
Rather then being defensive perhaps you should say thank you for all the very helpful advice everyone took the time to try and provide.
My wish for good luck was sincere and based on much experience, as was everyone else's.
As for just wanting a pet, that is the single most important role that todays dogs fill and should never be downplayed. A pet needs to live longer and be healthier then any other dog. Mine won't and isn't and I would never wish that on anyone. At just 8.5 years I am counting each day as a blessing and a gift.
Often catching the potential issues early can help to at least minimize the long term damage and effects.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The difference is the shelter getting the money, not someone lining their pockets.

Regardless the rest of the information I and others gave was in an effort to help not only the pup but your other dogs and the humans that may be exposed.
My current dog is a mill pup that has innumerable severe issues, from the mill it took me two years to shut down after finding and saving her. He called it a farm as well, on his million dollar country estate.
Rather then being defensive perhaps you should say thank you for all the very helpful advice everyone took the time to try and provide.
My wish for good luck was sincere and based on much experience, as was everyone else's.
As for just wanting a pet, that is the single most important role that todays dogs fill and should never be downplayed. A pet needs to live longer and be healthier then any other dog. Mine won't and isn't and I would never wish that on anyone. At just 8.5 years I am counting each day as a blessing and a gift.
Often catching the potential issues early can help to at least minimize the long term damage and effects.
Maybe if you didn't attack people they wouldn't be what you find defensive. Unbelievable....

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Jeepers Creepers...

Green poop could be something they ate or an upset stomach. The only time I've seen it is when a dog ate goose poop.:sick: The gas would indicate an upset stomach. Just take a fecal sample to the vet when you go.

And...nobody is getting rich on $250/puppy. 27 puppies*$250 = $6750. Do I agree with the breeding? No. But the financial facts just aren't there to indicate a true puppy mill. More like a farmer just knocking out puppies. I hope the temperaments and health are good. The one dog we bought from a farmer lived 3 years longer than her breed average lifespan. Sometimes you just get lucky.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yeah, sometimes you do. Two of my three rescues (unknown pedigrees) made it to 14 years old. Both had good temperaments, though the female could be a bit unpredictable with strangers who got in her face too quickly.

The third rescue, who from her structure must have come from someone who bred show dogs, only made it to 9 before having to be euthanized.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts