German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this topic is in the wrong place or has been mentioned a million times. But I have been wondering what kind of food to get my Puppy (that I don't have yet) Ive done research and every time I think I find one I find lots of bad reviews on them. So any sort of help anyone might have I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I currently feed an all life stage food. Like you I read bad things about [large breed] puppy food, and I steered clear of it. I know a lot of people on this website do feed puppy food, but to each his own. Feed your pup what you think is best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Puppy Food

Hi,

I know your feeling, i went through this not so long ago and after a lot of research and confusion on different brands i decided to go wit Orijen Large Breed Puppy Food, my puppy instantly took to the food, and his poops have got a lot better than when we had him (he was being fed Pedigree).

HTH

Dan

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
There are several good foods out there. If you want to feed a puppy food, just be sure it's a large breed puppy food as it's more geared for the growth and development of big dogs (less calcium etc). I'm currently feeding Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy and it's been a good food for us. Just be sure to transition slowly and check the calorie count. My food is a LOT higher in calorie so it would be easy to overfeed and cause diarrhea or weight gain (450 calories a cup .. as opposed to 336 cal for my pup's old food).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feed fromm LBP due to the large number of people on this board who also feed it. It was a sort of rough transition for my pup from eukanuba LBP but after a few weeks everything was great and now her poops bounce.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't have my puppy yet either, but I think I've decided on Fromm's Large Breed Puppy Gold: Large Breed Puppy Gold dog food - Fromm Family Foods. You can go to that link and look at the analysis and ingredients, you can click on the ingredients for their reasoning for using each.

I may switch to a grain free from Blue, TOTW, Fromm (or other) once he's done with the puppy food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts